Other Immigration Law About immigration lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausamsam

What can immigration lawyers really do? If you broke the law and the law said you cannot get in USA anymore, what can they do to help? I know they help for work visa or green card. But I know some people can do that themselves if they were not that lazy.

there are some lawyers/agencies in other countries claim that they can help to immigrant to the USA or take care of the visa application. Is that true? Are they considered to be immigration lawyers as well?

If I went back to my country and somehow I cannot get back in, should I find a American immigration to help or I should find someone else in my country to help? Can American immigration lawyers do anything when I am not in the USA and get me back in?

It is not just a curious question. Actually I do need help for that.

Immigration lawyers can help prepare your forms or appeals in a way which gives you the best chance of winning an appeal or getting a visa. They understand what the consulate is looking for and how to prepare the best evidence and answer questions to facilitate your visa. They even can contact immigration when you have delays or to find out how best to help you or even to challenge a decision. They can help get waivers from the state department incase you were refused one because of a situation like a crime committed in the US, or to join your US wife……. Some of what they do can be done without their help……But using a good one who knows the ropes and process is a plus you cannot ignore. Some have had a lot of success reversing visa denials……………. So always use one if you can afford it.

if visa denials, how many times should I try before I should get a lawyer?
My case should be fine but still preparing for the worst.
I am preparing going home for break

Is your visa still valid or has it expired?

Oh, you can appeal immediately per your local consulate's rules. You might need an immigration lawyer only in certain cases.........How can I put this........Well, if the consulate says that you don't qualify based on your infraction or crime; then you can show them the section of immigration law which shows you qualify. But if they still say no, a lawyer might contact them and work with you, show all relevant case law and immigration rulings to help you. But if you are denied for a reason not related to your offense, then you don't need an immigration lawyer. Visas are also based on the discretion of the consulate. It is not guaranteed even if you have provided everything they want. Look at it this way; it is sometimes a lucky game. There are very limited amounts of visas yet thousands more want to come here..........

So the consulate can play with his own rule. He/she can just say, "I don't like you" and then kick me out? so he would be the one control my life at that moment.

but i do believe every consulate is highly trained and they are reasonable persons. at least I hope so.

All consuls are highly trained not to have prejudice against anyone based on such things. They should give everyone who qualifies a fair chance and deny only within limits of their rules. That is why when you appeal a visa refusal, you are not going to be interviewed by the same person. It would be a different person who under the law should interview you like the first interview never took place. That is why you see many people who are previously denied finally get visas. The consul can't just say they don't like you. They would let you know the reason you are being denied. They would tell you and mention it on the refusal paper.

My fiance was denied a K-1 Visa on December 19th because of prior drug convictions. He said they told him he can not apply again and he had to sign something saying he wouldnt. Is there anything we can do now? Is there anything I can do? Can I go to the UK (Wales) and marry him? Will he be able to come to the U.S. or not?

if he cannot get in for visa, he should not be able to get GC. He is probably inadmissible. see if he can apply for a waiver.

Last edited:
What is GC? and.. how do we know if he can apply for a waiver? And.. if not, what then? Sorry, I am new to this, never had to deal with it before.

GC = green card

i think mafioso knows the most about waiver

so what did he do? what was the sentence? what is the max jail time?

He has 4 drug felonies between 8 and 11 years ago. He spent no time in jail and did community service. In Wales his convictions do not exist anymore, they drop off after 5 years. It is the U.S. that is holding them against him. We just don't know what we can do.

it sounds really serious.
you should talk to a immigration lawyer or talk to the embassy and see if the waiver is available for him

I just checked, it is inadmissable, does that mean he can still apply for a waiver, if so, how do you do it.. also, how do you contact the Embassy?

Going to marry him there would not change the outcome. Most people in his situation would be denied an exception or waiver. Some do get it but the burden of evidence to qualify for one in such a case is extremely high. Less the 2% of people get it. You can however get a lawyer to try………….I would rather you consider moving and leaving there if you asked my advice. The whole waiver process could run a couple of years and possibly above 4000$ in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back