Assault & Battery A vigilante

Status
Not open for further replies.

anghulk

Ok,Here comes an odd question in need of a serious answer.I would like to know what would happen if the this situation were to come to be

I happen to be a big comics fan,I also happen to have a friend who was jumped,I also happen to own alot of riot gear and bullet proof armor.What If I was to go out on "patrol" and watch for these guys to jump somone else? I end up staring them down(in a bullet proof jet black suit and monster looking mask a friend of mine who works with car part fabrication made) and they attack,since id be in armor they wouldent be able to do much damage(ive tested it) and I end up beating them to a pulp and running off.first off,am I a vigilante? second,what happens,they attack first mind you.Also,is it legal to carry a none switch blade knife in pa,what about black jacks,night sticks,mace,stun guns and other police gear? let me know,Im not joking around on this,I know where these wannabe gangs hang out and Id love to give them a good scare.

Well, let me tell you two things, the sensible answer and the legal answer.

The sensible answer: Before I went to law school I was a police officer who has seen a lot of people get into trouble, therefore I speak of experience: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS!

For some years I was wearing body armor and gun and all and do you think I would have wanted voluntarily to get into dangerous situations? I would have been stupid. Body armor can protect you, but only to a certain limit. What will you do if one of your opponents will draw a gun? If two of them draw a gun? If one swings a bat at you knocking you out while the other will stab you in the throat and the third shoot you in the head? You never know what kind of arms a gang of scum is carrying around. Don't be stupid and go out and look for trouble. If you happen to see a crime being committed, call 911 and observe and offer to be a witness, that is much more helpful.

Second, the legal answer: You might walk into deep deep trouble. First of all, in most states it is a crime to carry these kind of equipment or weapons unless you are a law enforcement officer. Body Armor for example is restricted in many states, so are knives etc.

And even if the possession or the carrying around of those weapons might not be criminal, the USE of them probably will be. If you use deadly force in any way against another person without being justified, you could face a murder charge, attempted murder charge, aggravated assault charge and the like, or in other words, look at felony charges that would lock you up for years.

Any instrument that is used that is potentially deadly is under the law a deadly weapon.

Deadly force under the law can only be used in very very limited situations, usually only to defend yourself or another person against an unlawful imminent attack with deadly force.

So, let's say you walk around with your terminator 9mm in your pocket and come across Joe Scumbag who happens to be just raping Fairy Lilly and just getting ready to stab her to death. You pull your 9mm and shoot him right between the eyes. You will be lauded as a hero.

But most cases are not that easy and clear cut.

You come across the ScumbagsRus Gang at the next street corner who appear to be jumping Billy Innocent and his brother Joey Harmless. You again pull your 9mm and challenge the Scumbag Kids.

Now, what you did not know is, that actually Billy Innocent wasn't that innocent at all but had started the quarrel by hitting Carlos Scumbag, the gang leader, right on the nose with his little blackjack, while Joey was pointing a kife, which you didn't see, at Carlos little brother Carlito. The Scumbag Kids actually were defending themselves. Now you barge in threatening the Scumbag Kids: you are the aggressor, you are committing assault. Worse: Carlos thinks you are a buddy of Joey and tries to stab you, defending himself, and you shoot him dead. You will be charged with murder.

Other example: You come across the same corner and again see the Scumbag Kids jump two really innocent kids. You challenge Carlos and his gang, the kids run away. Words are being exchanged. You feel invincible in your body armor and stuff and challenge Carlos, making fun of his Mexican accent. He punches you in the nose. You shoot him. You will face murder charges. Why? First of all, the court would probably say you were the aggressor. After those kids ran away you could and should have retreated, too. Second: You answered non-deadly force with deadly force. That is a big no-no.

You see: unless you can afford to bring your attorney along on each of your terminator trips you will be bound to get into a legal trap and into big big trouble.

So, don't even think about it!

Last edited:
what id be wearing would have no gaps,Ive been working with a guy who does custom armor so everything from old style knights to storm troopers.Hes got kevlar and can work it into a body suit lining so Id have no gaps,Id also have extra pading in the head and vital areas,I wouldent use weapons unless I ad to,only If I was attacked,I also know that most of the gangs around here dont even have gun.The weapons Id carry would be defensive only,I wouldent be making this a habbit either,Another thing is Id be coverd head to toe,nothing showing and Id have to be caught to reveal who I was.I dont worry about the chances,Ive taken enough on my own,pains not a factor and with all the armor I doubt I will have much to deal with.Thanks for the advice though.

Take it from a fellow comic book fan. Even superhero comics that try to be "realistic" are not. The Punisher should be dead after everything he's gone through. A stray bullet would have hit him in the face. His gun would have jammed. He would have tripped running after somebody. I doubt you're a Navy SEAL 'Nam veteran who can hide knives up his butt so you would suffer an unfortunate end quicker. Police officers don't go out LOOKING to hurt bad guys. Even the soldiers going to Iraq armed to the teeth don't WANT to hurt people. And that's why these people do what they do, not angry people who make their own rules. Don't risk it.

Understand the main flaw in the "idealism" that superheroes in comic books tout. Violence is NOT the right answer to violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back