A School Loan Forged by my Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dookiebd

To make a long story short, he is a very proud man who absolutely HAD to have me go to a private very expensive university even though he could not afford it. He told me I had received a full academic scholarship. Halfway through my JR year i was unexpectedly booted out due to non payment and as it turns out i had no scholarship and owed a LOT of money. For 5 years now I have been hounded for this money. Now, I have proof (at least to me, no expert opinion yet) that this is not my signature 100%.

In my situation, after having protested this for years, having my wages garnished, filing bankruptcy, garnished again, etc, i have finally gotten through all the red tape of the collection agencies to obtain a copy of the original application/promissory note for one of the loans (there are more than one, but i figure if one was, they all were and it'll be easier to find them w/ help) and it turns out that my father forged MY signature. What should I do in THIS situation? Thanks!

wes

Let's start from the top.

Do you have judgments against you?

(By the way, since you used the dough for schooling, don't ever expect to get any back.)

starting from the top

Yes, there are many numerous judgements against me, for non repayment of loans.

My question, i guess, is this: Yes, the money was used for schooling, to an extent. However, I was told by my father that I had been accepted on a FULL ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP, to the University of his choice due to my 36 ACT. Hey, free school, good school, why not?

Halfway through my senior year, i walked outside one morning to find my car gone (it had been repo'd as he hadn't made ANY payments after I left the state, duke's in nc, we lived in IL). that same day, I was contacted by the bursar, basically letting me know that the 3 years previous credits and work would be stripped from me unless i actually paid for them.

As you can imagine, this seemed odd, seeing as how i TOLD i had a full academic ride. (and as a side note that could only be proven in court by the testimony of my brothers, the only reason I HAD a car to be repo'd was because i was told all through high school, that if i got a full ride, he'd buy me a car w/ the saved tuition money.. therefore having the car only reinforced it to me that i did indeed have the scholarship)

In any case, as I stated earlier (and i apologize for the lack of correct punctuation, I've just been telling this story to so many people trying to find the correct recourse.. it's become a drain) I never had received a scholarship, he had never paid a dime... as far as the school loans.. i never saw them, i'm not even sure how they were disbursed, whether he got a check or they went to the school..

which leads us to the judgements, there are several, usa funds, sallie mae, hessa, etc... and as previously stated, i FINALLY got a copy of one of the original promissory notes/applications in which it COULD NOT BE MORE OBVIOUS that he filled out the entire form.. from the way he writes small letters in capitals to the simple fact that his version of my signature is two separate bodies of letters, whereas my signature, is one long continuous stroke starting w/ a W----H--- and that's it.. no first name.. never has been. i'm not worried about proving it's not me..

what i'm wondering is this: He misled me into thinking I received a scholarship, he forged my signature w/o ever telling me, any acceptance of tuition on my half consisted of me being told i got a scholarship and believing it... I never would have signed any document for a 4 year, 60,000/yr private uni. in the years following my being kicked out, I got a job back at the bank, only to have my wages garnished so badly i could not afford an apt, or food to the point i had to get food stamps, and finally move to indiana, a year later they found me again, and i lost my fiance', a year later i moved to phoenix, where i now manage a gas station which was not my first choice, but the 4 or 5 >$70,000 /yr jobs i was offered rescinded their offer upon running a credit check, and filed bankruptcy 2 years ago hoping to get rid of this.. as you know, they don't.

Is there any way i can have this loan transferred to his credit line, to find out what he did w/ the money, to prove he defrauded me, and lied to me, to prove i was misled into thinking that there was no loan? is there anyway to get back ANYTHING for the anguish of losing everything twice? of being a great job prospect for 4 years, only to be let go, because, on paper, you're a theft risk? is there ANY help for me?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back