A question from a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

endy

I'm new to researching law. I haven't read much on citation. I was just reading a case about Bond v us 564... I am not a lawyer if that helps, I'm just interested in it and considering going back to school for law.

The question is why do some documents or articles quote it like this "Bond v us 564 U.S__ (2011)"? One affidavit I read had on appeal after citing the case. Is this because at the time that affidavit was written it was on appeal? I haven't read that much on proper citation. Why would they be double underscored, and why would someone put on appeal after that in an affidavit? The affidavit was created in 2011.

If the above is the case, what would be the proper citation now? I hope I'm posting this in the right section. Thanks in advance.

The style of cause (the names of the parties) is "Bond v. United States". The official citation to the US Reports (the Supreme Court citation) is "US 564__". You can't cite it as "Bond v. US 564", that's missing half of the style of cause.

Citations usually only say "on appeal" or similar if they are referring to a decision of a lower court that is presently under appeal. Given that the US564___" citation is to a final decision of the Supreme Court, it can't be on appeal any further.

I'm not sure what the double underscore in the citation means. A guide to legal citation like "The Blue Book Made Easy" would probably tell you quick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back