A gosh darned pipe dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AriaG253

(If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know.) December 2013, around Christmas time, my dad offered my boyfriend and I a modular home in the park that he is the manager of. He said that my boyfriend would be working for him and the owners of the park by working on the units and remolding them so they could be sold. In turn, all of the money he earned would go to our house and lot payment. That would leave us with just a power and a water bill and we would rent 2 of the 3 rooms to my 2 brothers. The unit my dad thought would be perfect for us was occupied by a family who had been living there for a year without paying a dime. Not a dime. So, anyways, we moved into a temporary unit in the middle of January while my dad tried to get the people out and I transferred my part time, minimum wage job and got settled into the new environment. We were there for a couple of weeks and then we were able to move into our house. Throughout my entire ordeal here, I've been begging my dad for a lease and he wouldn't give us one. Anyways, 7 days later they shut our power off and my dad said that he would have to make some phone calls to get it turned back on since it was in the previous occupants name. After waiting a week with no power, we finally said screw it, lets go back to the temporary unit. We stayed there for nearly 3 more months, waiting for my dad to make this phone call to get our power turned on. February 15th, we found out I was pregnant with my first child :) At this point, I had never owned a home or even had water or power bills in my name. Ever. So, I was pretty naïve. After finally getting tired of living in a house with the carpets pulled up, no door knobs and no heater vents and a hole torn in the ceiling in the kitchen, we took it upon ourselves to get the power turned on. 1 phone call and $110 later, the power was on. We moved back into our house. My boyfriend was still working for my dad and the owners. Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.(we still to this day have never met the owners...) He would go to my dads house every morning (which was also in the park) to sign in on a sheet of paper stating what time he started, which unit he was working on and then in the evening when he was finished, he would go back to my dads house and sign out. My dad had a hard time getting ahold of the owners 98% of the time. Sometimes he would be waiting WEEKS for the owners to call him back. So, sometimes my dad would be waiting on money from them so my boyfriend could continue the work on the units. So, my dad told him to take some time off while he waited for this check from the owners. 2 months he waited. And waited. My boyfriend got a $15/hr under the table job that would last a few months and so he took it. He told my dad that he needed to make some money while they waited for the check from the owners. My dad took it upon himself to tell the owners that my boyfriend had quit working and was not longer making our house payments. Supposedly. 2 or 3 weeks later, my dad says that the owners want me to give my dad a hand written letter stating how my boyfriend, my 2 brothers and I were going to pay our bills. We ALL had jobs. And John was in the military. He wanted this letter the very next day. Honestly, we forgot to write the letter. But, we wrote it the next day and gave it to him. He proceeded to tell us that it was too late, the owners wanted us to move out. On May 27th, my dad said these words to me, "Is TWO MONTHS enough time to find a new place? So, July 1st?" I'm not sure if he was trying to pull a fast one, but I said Yes, TWO MONTHS would be enough time to find a new place. My dad has since, disposed of my boyfriends sign in sheets. So, we don't have proof of the work he had done. I didn't think that letter was going to get us evicted. And so quickly? There is a huge missing puzzle piece somewhere and I am dying to know what it is!! I am now 6 1/2 months pregnant and close to being homeless, because the 1st of July is coming up and my 2 brothers don't want to get a place with us, I had to quit my job and there is no way we can pay the bills on our own. Please tell me that there is legally something I can do to make this right!!

I suggest you learn the legal eviction process in your state. You won't be required to move unless the eviction is done correctly and a judge orders you out. It sounds like you probably have lots of time.
You will eventually be kicked out though. Don't wait until the last minute to find a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back