A first for Small Claims Court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1234made

Good afternoon-

So this is something rather petty, believe me I need this like I need a hole in the head, but I guess this is what SCC is for.
I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with fantasy sports but this summer I took part in and won a fantasy baseball lgue.

Some people know how fantasy sports work already but I'll clue most ppl in on the gist of the it.

Basically the purpose is to 'draft' a team made up of real (baseball players in this case) and depending on how well your collection of players or team does relative to other competitors/teams in the lgue you win a cash prize.

All players in this league pay a fee to play, which is agreed upon beforehand. (This case its 12 teams and a $125 fee.) The cash prize is determined by a league consensus and everyone usually pays their money to the 'commisioner' of the league [ironic - this is done to ensure things like this don't happen] and at the end the commish pays the winner(s).

So I'm sure you've already guessed the 'commisioner' is not paying the winner(s).
BTW the commissioner is the guy who has access to the maintenance tools for the league. They aren't voted to be commish - in this case its just the guy who opens up the league and assembles everyone together on that particular website(Yahoo! - CBS etc.).

I am owed approx. $700, second place is owed $325, and another person about $200.

Do I have a case at all in this instance? I'm busy and I don't want to waste my time on something like this. Like I said this is ridiculous but I deserve this money as well as the other people who actually put time into it.

I do have an email from him saying what the payouts to the winners will be at the end of the season.

He is basically doing this out of spite - pretty much admitted it to another friend of mine. His reasoning?? He's insane, he said, this is his way of making us pay because we made him pay. He is referring to the fact that he was caught colluding/cheating with another team trying to get his team a better spot in the playoffs. Serious stuff right? lol
At the time it happened we (meaning the whole league) agreed that both teams would walk away with a 5-5 tie. Which isn't much of a penalty BTW but the best that could be done at the time.

Now he is all upset and quite frankly acting like a child. I would love nothing more than to go the other route but I won't for two reasons; 1. that's what he wants so he can call the cops and 2. it doesn't get my $700 that I'm rightfully owed. Anyone who has ever played fantasy sports for money knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'd love any feedback on this as he is avoiding all contact with me. This is too small to go to a lawyer for, but I need a lawyer's expertise. I have about 8 or 9 witnesses from the league too. Is there a precedent for this? lol

-thanks
Annoyed

Last edited:
You may be surprised to hear this but I think this is exactly what SCC is for. Its a small and very legitimate claim. I think it's funny that it is fantasy sports but who cares what it is. You have a contract with each other to put $125 each in a pool. You elect a "commissioner" who holds the funds in "trust" for the winners. I take it he gets some sort of compensation for his efforts. If he misappropriates the funds, which is what I think has happened, he is both criminally and civilly liable.

I would send him notice that you are owed $700 and give him Ten (10) days to pay it. If he fails to do so file a suit. State basically what I said in the paragraph above in clear and concise language. He will lose unless he has some really good reason for what he has done. I can't imagine one.

If you wish, call the police. He would be criminally liable if he has spent the money. Good luck it's a good case.

thank you so much for replying so quickly...I've already let him know that i am waiting for this money...it's $15 to file in NYC

Just thinking.... technically the season is not over after til after the World Series... even in MLB. I am sure your fantasy playoffs are all done... but my point is that maybe a little patience will help. Do what you can by communicating with him without threats and get what you can in writing. If you have already gotten something from him acknowledging that he owes you and intends to pay after the season then you are golden in court.

Curious though.... is this someone you know personally or is it someone on the other end of Internet world?

If you have already gotten something from him acknowledging that he owes you and intends to pay after the season then you are golden in court.

Moose makes an excellent point here. If you can get him to admit in friendly correspondence that a payment is and should be coming then you are golden in court if it comes to that.

I do know the guy personally and as you can see he is not worth knowing.

I already have an email from him stating what the payouts at the end of the season will be for the winners. Not me personally, but I am one of the winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back