A Few More Questions About Fixing Bad Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelwoof

In their campaign to smear my good name, Verizon has posted a charge off of the same debt 29 times. While I dispute the debt, I don't have proof of final payment on an account I canceled nearly 7 years ago, and my bank's readily available records don't go back that far. I will be paying the debt, but this leaves me with other credit profile problems.

The Fair Trade Commission says that this is illegal, and I am expecting confirmation from the FTC that they will be pursuing administrative action against both EquiFax and Verizon Wireless.

I believe that the CRA (Equifax) is obligated to remove all but one of the charge off notations from my credit profile, and correct my score. Is this true? I have not been able to find a full text of the rules that dictate CRA practices. Is there a specific document available to the public which contains this information? Is it available on line?

If the CRA corrects my credit report as a result of my complaints, am I entitled to another free credit report?

Equifax claims that they can take 30-45 days to correct any problems found in a credit report. This contradicts what the FTC and law experts say here. Unfortunately, I don't have a specific rule to cite in response to their lackadaisical response concerning timely performance of their duties. Can you tell me what that rule is, or where I can find an original text of the governing rules which the US Fair Trade Commission uses in enforcement of the FACT and FCRA?

Thank you!

I highly doubt that Verizon intended a smear campaign against you. They could have made a mistake and there could have been negligence involved but I don't think it's a campaign. It is true that Equifax can take a few weeks to clear up the problem. In a few weeks we should have the entire US Code online for searching but, until then, you can go to to the FTC Web Site and find the answers there. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back