A company sued me and I'm not the individual on the paperwork

Jessieray1

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I recently filled out an application for a loan to buy a new home. The bank called me about a judgement that was filed against me a while back that I was unaware of. Apparently a company called MBF leasing (which from what I have read is just a huge scam) had sued me for $879.00. This in return got my loan denied because it is against bank policy for them to issue a loan to anyone who has a filed judgement. I then pulled my credit and started researching the company and I actually found out that my father had a credit card machine with his company a few years back and was scammed as well. He has been in a legal battle with them ever since. Since my father and I have the same name ( I am the IV and he is the III) they sued me instead of him. How do I get this correct on my credit report and I am very upset because this caused my loan to be denied and also made my credit take another hit due to banks running my credit. This has turned into a huge issue for me. I need help.

thanks

I recently filled out an application for a loan to buy a new home. The bank called me about a judgement that was filed against me a while back that I was unaware of. Apparently a company called MBF leasing (which from what I have read is just a huge scam) had sued me for $879.00. This in return got my loan denied because it is against bank policy for them to issue a loan to anyone who has a filed judgement. I then pulled my credit and started researching the company and I actually found out that my father had a credit card machine with his company a few years back and was scammed as well. He has been in a legal battle with them ever since. Since my father and I have the same name ( I am the IV and he is the III) they sued me instead of him. How do I get this correct on my credit report and I am very upset because this caused my loan to be denied and also made my credit take another hit due to banks running my credit. This has turned into a huge issue for me. I need help.

thanks

You will require the services of a licensed Alabama lawyer.
There's no way an Internet forum can be of much help with the issues you're facing.

You will require the services of a licensed Alabama lawyer.
There's no way an Internet forum can be of much help with the issues you're facing.
Thanks Army. I have contacted a local lawyer but until I heard back I was just hoping for any input from anyone on what could be done or and if was possible to try to fight this company back since it has caused such an issue for me now?

Thanks Army. I have contacted a local lawyer but until I heard back I was just hoping for any input from anyone on what could be done or and if was possible to try to fight this company back since it has caused such an issue for me now?

Yes, it's possible because the wrong person was sued, but is difficult and involved.

Hold for the lawyer to get back to you.
Or, visit one or two others.
If you agree to hire a lawyer, an in person visit as well as a retainer (contract) will be required.
The motion to overturn (as in vacate the judgment) the erroneous judgment can take weeks, often months.

Since my father and I have the same name ( I am the IV and he is the III) they sued me instead of him.

Think about that before you name your son after yourself. It's a custom that's archaic, troublesome, and ridiculous.

I agree with Army Judge that you need a lawyer to unravel this for you.

Think about that before you name your son after yourself. It's a custom that's archaic, troublesome, and ridiculous.

I agree with Army Judge that you need a lawyer to unravel this for you.
I will be talking to a few lawyers within the next week about what to do. As far as my name goes, I am very proud to have been named after my father and grandfather. I also have a son on the way that will be named after us as well. I'm sorry you believe that it is troublesome and ridiculous. In this instance a mistake has happened but anyone with my same name could have easily been the victim to this. If you have no more advice to give me on the situation then please just keep your opinions about my name to yourself. I did not ask for that advice.

Back