A 17 year old pregnant run away female.

N

nikki.c95

Jurisdiction
Indiana
IN INDIANA.... I know a 17 year old who had ran away and she is pregnant with her 22 year old boyfriend's child. I know they have been together for over a year. I do also know because of her boyfriend being african american, her parents doesnt like him at all, and surely would harm her and the baby if she gets sent back home. Any way she could go to doctors for doctors appointments? What rights does she now have since she is pregnant and not going through abortion or adoption? Can she leave the house without permission to let her child's father see the baby? Any other help would be thankful.

As long as she is even one minute under the age of 18, she is under the care and control of her parents. While she may take herself to the doctor and make her own decisions about her health care and that of her baby, she does not have the legal right to live anywhere she doesn't have her parents' permission to live. If that means her boyfriend doesn't see the baby, then that means her boyfriend doesn't see the baby. When she turns 18 she can live anywhere she wants to. Until then, there is not a darned thing she can do about it if her parents decide to drag her pregnant little ass back home and lock it in its room.

The Father can go to court after the child is born, get a DNA test & prove paternity. He should get visitation & possibly some sort of custody such as joint custody. He might also though be required to pay child support.

The fact that the 22 year old knocked up their minor daughter is a very good reason not to like the guy and to forbid her from seeing him. She may make her own medical decisions regarding her pregnancy, subject to the laws of her state Indiana Abortion Laws - FindLaw and that of her baby. Same for adoption Child Adoption Laws Indiana.

She may not leave the house at will, and the father has no rights to the child until he establishes paternity through one of the mechanisms described here DCS: Paternity AND has been granted visitation/custody by the court. For the record, that visitation/custody is going to come with a price tag for child support and still will not grant the underage mother the right to see him or spend time with him. It is also possible that he will face legal issues related to statutory rape/ related charges.

Back