8 yr old speeding ticket in new york

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpster

a letter was just sent to my old residence on 02/09/06. the letter was from the nassau county clerk telling me i have an 8 yr old outstanding ticket as well as fines and penalties.i have not lived at my old address in 8 yrs. i have since married and moved on. i would like to know :
1) why didn't the county pull up my current address so i would get the letter?
2) do i have any recourse or chance of a dissmissal since the ticket is 8 yrs. old?

i did retain a lawyer for the ticket 8 yrs ago. and i don't remember who the lawyer was. the lawyer did however to to the court and did notify me that the county was unable to find the ticket. i did notice some information in the nys vtl that if the people do not offer a reason for posponment in a reasonable amount of time the ticket may be dismissed.i also found a part in the vtl that states in no such case shall such an order and fine be entered and imposed more than 2 years after the date of the alleged violation. if this last statement is true, is there a way of having this ticket dismissed without driving 3 hrs to the nassau county? thanks for any help or input.
pete

do i have any recourse or chance of a dissmissal since the ticket is 8 yrs. old?

Sounds like they found it. You probably have a case for dismissal so it just depends on the amount of the fines. Start by calling the clerk and requesting a complete copy of the file. You may be able to talk to the judge and get an agreement for a small fine. It just depends on how much time you want to spend fighting it.

Look up the statute of limitation on this, Carpster. Sorry, I would, but am very tired right now and need to get some sleep. Let us know if you have problems locating it, and one of us will assist you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back