7am-9am No Left Turn Violation GEORGIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanjara

Hello!

Everyone seems really helpful on this forum so I thought I'd give it a shot with my questions, and hopefully someone can help.

Ok, I'm a Florida Resident who sometimes works in Atlanta, Georgia. I was driving in an unfamiliar area and because my GPS told me and there were no cars incoming (I was in the left hand turn lane), I turned left without looking at the sign above me that said no turn 7am-9am, so there was a cop waiting on foot down the road getting one person after the other for this violation. To make matters worse, I did not have my proof of insurance on me (it was back in Florida) so I got another ticket for that and now I have to go to court for these.

I have a clean driving record (I am 24 and have never even been pulled over and I've been driving since I was 15). I will be in town for my court date on Sep. 4 but I will be in Florida from there on out so making two separate apperances is not really option (I'd have to hire a lawyer or buy a $300 plane ticket - quickly seraching for a lawyer online it seems like it will be at least $500 for this). What do you recommend I do?

I was thinking of showing up with my proof of valid insurance - will the judge dimiss the ticket or at least sevearly reduce it? And for the no left-hand turn, what is my best plea? Should I plea not guilty? or what do you recommend? This is a $150 ticket with 3 points on my license and I'd like to avoid this if I can. Keep in mind it is most feasible for me to show up and get everything overwith in 1 showing as I'll be back in Florida after my September 4th court date. Let me know and thanks!

If you're smart,you could hire a lawyer and avoid the trip.
The lawyer can likely clear up the no insurance nonsense.

Were you driving a rental car, or your personal vehicle?
The rental car was properly insured. The contract was all that needed to be shown.

Traffic school is another option, if permitted for out of state offenders.

You might try writing a letter, or simply calling the court clerk and asking about DEFERRED ADJUDICATION (Google the phrase), if allowed DA will wipe away all sins as if they never ever happened!!!!

If I decide to fight the ticket (I'm not sure how the process works), for the insurance ticket, I would plead Nolo and show my valid proof of insurance at the time of the ticket and I think it should be dismissed or lowered to court fees of $25 (from what I read). And then for my no left turn - assuming that the sign meets the manual - I also plead nolo and talk tell the judge I'm from Florida and was focused on driving and on making sure there was no oncoming traffic and did not know I was at fault while I was doing it and that I have a clean driving record and that this is my first offense, and hope the judge has mercy on me and dismiss the ticket or remove points. Does this sound like a good game plan or does anyone see any holes?

You are correct about the insurance. Provide proof you had coverage on that day and it will be dropped, though there will be court handling fees to pay.
As for the turn, look into whether traffic school is an option for you. It will cost a little more, in addition to the fine, but the points won't go on your record.
You won't beat the turn violation.

If I decide to fight the ticket (I'm not sure how the process works), for the insurance ticket, I would plead Nolo and show my valid proof of insurance at the time of the ticket and I think it should be dismissed or lowered to court fees of $25 (from what I read). And then for my no left turn - assuming that the sign meets the manual - I also plead nolo and talk tell the judge I'm from Florida and was focused on driving and on making sure there was no oncoming traffic and did not know I was at fault while I was doing it and that I have a clean driving record and that this is my first offense, and hope the judge has mercy on me and dismiss the ticket or remove points. Does this sound like a good game plan or does anyone see any holes?

Traffic courts are simply revenue schemes for local governments.
They rarely show mercy.
They want your money.
If I were you, deferred adjudication is the key.
Just so you know, no one wants to hear you, no one.
They want money, some money, and then they make deals.
Deferred adjudication is a deal, a very good deal, somewhat costly, but very effective in getting you off their hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back