55 in a 45 in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

msos1

My son got a speeding ticket in Charlotte for 55 in a 45 zone. The cop said he reduced it from 60 to 55 when he wrote it, but that doesn't really help my son. The question is should he try to speak to the DA before his court date to as for a reduction to 9 mph or the day of court? He has no points on his record right now and is 21.

Sounds like he should have a reasonably good chance to get it reduced as long as the officer does not change his mind. A PFJ might be an option also.

If the DA won't deal, plead not guilty and go find a lawyer to take care of things.

Oh, but he did help your son. First off, being convicted of 15 over results in automatic license suspension by the DMV for 30 days. Next, the DA will likely only deal you down one level. The levels as 0-9 over, 10-14 over, and 15+ 0 over. So by dropping you sons speed to 10 over he will plead down in court to 9 over and the net result will be no insurance increase provided you don't get another ticket within 3 years. Don't waste a PJC on this (provided it gets dealt to 9 over,) save it for the next ticket. If he is on your insurance policy, if anyone else on the policy has a ticket this could change the need for a PJC.

Not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice, been to traffic court in NC a lot.

I got saved by a trooper like this once, he reduced my speed of 95 in a 55 (yeah, I was young and stupid, he actually asked where the fire was when he jumped out of his car) to 83 in a 55. The DA in Wake County generously offered 80 in a 55, I asked what good that would do and counter-offered 79 in a 55. She agreed, and shuffled me off to the magistrate (they do things differently in Wake County, in my home county you still see the judge.) The magistrate immediately offered me a PJC (I didn't even know what one was) of his own free volition and I jumped on it (sounded like a good deal, no fine, don't get a ticket for 12 months and your insurance doesn't go up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back