50 MPH over the speed limit in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RThomson

Hi I was recently ticketed for driving 115mph in a 65mph 4 lane highway at midnight. I have to attend court soon but I can not find out if I need a lawyer or not. Am I facing jail time, license suspension, and fines? I have called the clerk of courts twice and both times no one knew how to answer me. The issuing officer also had no idea what the maximum penalty could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Hi I was recently ticketed for driving 115mph in a 65mph 4 lane highway at midnight. I have to attend court soon but I can not find out if I need a lawyer or not. Am I facing jail time, license suspension, and fines? I have called the clerk of courts twice and both times no one knew how to answer me. The issuing officer also had no idea what the maximum penalty could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Your citation is a big deal in all 50 states.

In Ohio, fines vary greatly from county to county, but 50 MPH is gonna be staggering.

It will also add points.

I suggest you appear, plead not guilty, make no statements or admissions, and tell the court you are in the process of hiring a lawyer.

If you can hire the lawyer before your court date, all the better.

Your lawyer will direct your efforts and defense.

You probably won't get any jail time, but you could lose your license for a period of time, and pay a very hefty fine.

But, your bigger problem will be obtaining automobile insurance.

Your rates will sky rocket, and you'll probably be forced to go with a lesser known, high risk carrier.

That will mean a HUGE increase, if you're convicted.

Hire that lawyer, get him or her involved, and work out a plea bargain, or beat the charge.

Yes, the lawyer will cost you some money, but if the charge gets pled out (or you prevail); it'll save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

You might even be able to keep your regular license.

Last edited:
At 50mph over to might be facing a misdemeanor reckless charge rather than a simple speeding infraction. You definitely want an attorney's assistance with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back