3rd party lies about STDs (Slander ?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelPA

Hello, I'm a 30 something year old woman that would frequent a regular neighborhood bar because I felt safe knowing everyone.

One day out of the blue after returning from having a pop at the bar and getting ready to meet my date I get a phone call from the barmaid (who I use to babysit for about 13 years ago).

She was calling from the bar and her voice was rushed. She told me to never come in there again and that I was barred. Of course I didn't understand. She told me not to play stupid and that the owner knew. I was still dumbfounded. The barmaid then went to tell me I gave the barmaid's son an STD

I won't go into any further details or even name the STD, instead I'll just label the STD as STD#1

Towards the end of my date my male friend and I stopped at another bar for a drink. The barmaid was there. She seemed shocked to see us together (I had told him about the phone call from her). As he and I were leaving, I was not even 5 feet from him, she rushed to the door and loudly proclaimed to him, "For your own safety, I would not sleep with her."

He did go back to talk to her in more length and she did spin quite a web, but this I can't go into because he is missing. He disapeared on me a week later, so I lost one of my most important witnesses at the moment unless I regain contact with him.

A few days later I ran into the man the barmaid had tried to set me up with. He and I just didn't click that way. He heard that I was banned from the bar, but didn't know why. I just warned him that if he asked, it may not be pretty.

But that night he bumped into the barmaid elsewhere and asked why she banned me. The barmaid was more than eager to spill a little gossip and lies. She told him that the guy I was dating had an STD called STD#3 and that I slept with him and got it was well. When she found out she warned me to not leave with any other men that night, but I left with a man anyway. (I was well passed barred at this point). She also mentioned that her and the bar owner were contacting anyone they felt I may have slept with and telling them I "had something" and that the bar owner had tried to contact him since he and I had gone out (she assumed we ever slept together). Before she told him any of this, my friend even told the barmaid that anything said to him was coming back to me.

About a week or two later, the barmaid admitted to him that this whole thing has to do with the owner's son.

He also told me, since the barmaid is so well known and liked, that he would have actually believed her story if I didn't bump into him first.

So far, he's my only reliable 3rd party witness.

I have been told by one gentleman that goes up to the bar that the barmaid asked him if I slept with him. He told her it was known of her business. But saddly he doesn't understand why I feel the way I do over what she's doing to me.

Now me. I can't find a lawyer. I can't even find a lawyer to have a consultation with. I know there must be more than my one witness, but since I'm barred from the bar, I can't speak to many. I don't know if I should speak to the owner or her son since the barmaid implicated both of them. At this point do I even have a case of Slander against her?

In all honesty, I do have bipolar, due to stress, at one point, I didn't eat for 5 days. My stress level skyrocketed. I also have fibromyagia, which has flared up pretty bad. I've broken out in rashes and knots all over my body. If I take this before a judge without lawyers, how does one figure out emotional stress?

OH the MOST IMPORTANT thing . I have been tested for STDs to cover my back for this case (if i'm able to open one) and I tested clean for everything.

Thank you very much.

Originally posted by MelPA:
Hello, I'm a 30 something year old woman that would frequent a regular neighborhood bar because I felt safe knowing everyone.

One day out of the blue after returning from having a pop at the bar and getting ready to meet my date I get a phone call from the barmaid (who I use to babysit for about 13 years ago).

She was calling from the bar and her voice was rushed. She told me to never come in there again and that I was barred. Of course I didn't understand. She told me not to play stupid and that the owner knew. I was still dumbfounded. The barmaid then went to tell me I gave the barmaid's son an STD

I won't go into any further details or even name the STD, instead I'll just label the STD as STD#1

Towards the end of my date my male friend and I stopped at another bar for a drink. The barmaid was there. She seemed shocked to see us together (I had told him about the phone call from her). As he and I were leaving, I was not even 5 feet from him, she rushed to the door and loudly proclaimed to him, "For your own safety, I would not sleep with her."

He did go back to talk to her in more length and she did spin quite a web, but this I can't go into because he is missing. He disapeared on me a week later, so I lost one of my most important witnesses at the moment unless I regain contact with him.

A few days later I ran into the man the barmaid had tried to set me up with. He and I just didn't click that way. He heard that I was banned from the bar, but didn't know why. I just warned him that if he asked, it may not be pretty.

But that night he bumped into the barmaid elsewhere and asked why she banned me. The barmaid was more than eager to spill a little gossip and lies. She told him that the guy I was dating had an STD called STD#3 and that I slept with him and got it was well. When she found out she warned me to not leave with any other men that night, but I left with a man anyway. (I was well passed barred at this point). She also mentioned that her and the bar owner were contacting anyone they felt I may have slept with and telling them I "had something" and that the bar owner had tried to contact him since he and I had gone out (she assumed we ever slept together). Before she told him any of this, my friend even told the barmaid that anything said to him was coming back to me.

About a week or two later, the barmaid admitted to him that this whole thing has to do with the owner's son.

He also told me, since the barmaid is so well known and liked, that he would have actually believed her story if I didn't bump into him first.

So far, he's my only reliable 3rd party witness.

I have been told by one gentleman that goes up to the bar that the barmaid asked him if I slept with him. He told her it was known of her business. But saddly he doesn't understand why I feel the way I do over what she's doing to me.

Now me. I can't find a lawyer. I can't even find a lawyer to have a consultation with. I know there must be more than my one witness, but since I'm barred from the bar, I can't speak to many. I don't know if I should speak to the owner or her son since the barmaid implicated both of them. At this point do I even have a case of Slander against her?

In all honesty, I do have bipolar, due to stress, at one point, I didn't eat for 5 days. My stress level skyrocketed. I also have fibromyagia, which has flared up pretty bad. I've broken out in rashes and knots all over my body. If I take this before a judge without lawyers, how does one figure out emotional stress?

OH the MOST IMPORTANT thing . I have been tested for STDs to cover my back for this case (if i'm able to open one) and I tested clean for everything.

Thank you very much.
You could sue and have a case for slander. You might want to ensure that you have some evidence before you walk into court. Some have tape recorded phone calls although the law depends upon the state (some states require that at least one party consent to the call and that could be yourself.) I'm not advising you do such. It seems to me that you might have the best case against the son who spread the rumors. You might even go to the bar with a friend of yours and see what happens. You shouldn't stress out about this and perhaps the damage is minimal.

However, that be said you should be prepared to find a monetary amount to affix to your damages that are reasonable. While there are statutory damages with regard to a claim such as this one (that a woman is unchaste) there still should be some issue of how much damage you deserve -- this is only an issue in a local bar. It's not like it was placed in a national newspaper. An attorney would also be reluctant to take this case on contingency because, as is in many cases of slander, proof can be difficult. That is the key to making your case work -- obtaining the proof so that it is less disputable.

Yes, no lawyer would touch this with a ten foot pole. By the way I live the the state of Pennsylvania and several months have passed since this has happened.

Though it happened in a local bar, I live in a somewhat close knit neighborhood and I really don't know the extent of the damages are. I have noticed that some of the folks in there won't even say as much as a hello to me outside anymore.

I did find a lawyer to write a letter to the bar owner about the situation, but a copy to me was never sent so I have to seek out a refund for services not rendered now.

Maybe I will try to go in with a friend. If not a friend at least when the local Magistrate and my constable friend go in to eat.

Thank you for the response.

Melissa

You might be onto something with that plan! Either way, you shouldn't let that stuff get to you and if you don't, people will probably give you respect and question who is really telling the truth since you seem to have a guilt-free conscience...

Hope you find better luck and that this thing is forgotten soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back