35 thousand in debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawnisha

So i started a fire in a home i rented, I was there a total of 7 days. The fire was my faught I turned my back on cooking food. I accepted the responsibilty. My landlord at the time, the home owner told me verbally that I would be released of my lease, pretty much act as though i never lived there. Also I will not be held accountable for ANY damages. Now her insurance is making me reimbure them 35,916.48. I want to cry, I dont know what to do. I have emails from myself and the homeowner back and forth. With statement telling me Im free from the lease, and damages of the fire. What could I do, should I fight this? I will never be able to buy a house. I cant pay this back. Im still behind on bills from the fire!! :mad:

The landlord filed with their insurance company and it's the company that has determined you are a fault for these damages, not the landlord. Doesn't matter what the landlord told you in terms of you not owing anything.

Gail

Ok, so talking to other people, even Tom Martino from Fox 31 news said my best solution is BANK RUP... What do you think?

So...you're asking us for advice on how you can cheat an insurance company out of a debt that you yourself admit you owe?

Bankruptcy can have some significant long term effects. For one, you can likely kiss your ability to get a loan to purchase a house goodbye from many lending agencies (unless you're interested in paying a whopping interest rate). A fair number of landlords wouldn't even rent to you.

While bankruptcy seems the answer to some, it is important that you review every side of this. Start with this site:

http://www.bankruptcylawinformation.com/index.cfm?event=dspLongTermEffects

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back