Eviction Notice 3-Day Notice to Pay or Quit

89alumni

I received a 3-day Notice to Pay or Quit for non-payment of rent. My understanding is that the landlord can only go back 1 year for the amount owed for rent. What happens if there is more rent due that was over 1 year?

I received a 3-day Notice to Pay or Quit for non-payment of rent. My understanding is that the landlord can only go back 1 year for the amount owed for rent. What happens if there is more rent due that was over 1 year?
How are you understanding that a landlord can only go back 1 year for unpaid rent? You may be confusing what must be stated within the 3 day notice to pay or quit rules as per the State of California Guide for Landlords. In addition, how are you sure that the landlord may not be applying current rent payments for back rent and claiming that you're not current on current rent owed? I'd be very careful about this, especially since the 3 day notice to pay or quit for non-payment of rent usually means it's the first warning shot for an eviction proceeding. If you've got a security deposit, the amount of unpaid rent can be taken out of the security deposit. I haven't seen your lease so I can't speak as to details and make assumptions but this isn't a good spot. And if I were you, I wouldn't assume that you can simply walk away without having to pay back rent or other penalties (see the link I provided to the State of California website Guide for Landlords.)

Back