27MPH Over.17 Y.O.First Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

manovermatter

On the highway, doing 82 in a 55, did slam on the breaks, did not ask to see the radar gun, and I bet it was through the window of the officer's patrol car when he was stationary, since he tagged me while I was rounding a corner behind him.

It's my first ticket, and he gave me an insurance warning since I did not have a current slip on me. I was wearing an "I love Cops" Shirt.

Court Date in roughly 2 months. Any advice? Estimated attorney's fees? Do I argue the point that he probably radarred me through the window? Do I plea guilty for traffic school? They did not take my car or my license. Was very polite to the officer, as was he, and he did not mention anything about manslaughter when he pulled me over.

2 or 3 grand in legal fees + traffic school+ elevated insurance rates? What are my options legally? Again, he may not have the calibration card, and I forgot to ask to see the radar, and there's a good chance it was through the window. Does it matter?

I'm not pushing attorneys but I'll tell you the truth of my experience, especially in traffic court. They can make a HUGE difference just having one there, good or not, especially if you're just trying to plead down. Let's just say that they respect the fact that you hired help. That doesn't mean you won't pay fines. Others here can comment more (like lwpat) but I've appeared in traffic court for friends and I was able to negotiate reductions much easier than those who didn't have one.

Regarding the t-shirt, that's funny. :D But I'm sure they still won't give you a complete pass! Manslaughter... perhaps you're posting in the wrong section! Regarding calibration and the other questions to ask, I think we'll have a list up here shortly of what to ask when in court. But for the most part, when I've been to traffic court, it was very much a place where the usuals were more friendly with each other and the law had a funny way of being dispensed unless you really knew what you were talking about and there were serious holes in the officer's case. Perhaps that is because they are cynical since nobody is ever speeding, if you know what I mean. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back