23109 (c) VC - Exhibition of Speed (Peeling Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, I work for a car dealership and my job is to get cars ready to sell. Super kick ass job btw.

A couple months ago, we got a car in from Florida. Pontiac Trans-AM WS-6.

The car was heavily moddified, and the problem was that there was no way it was going to pass California smog like that. That's where I come in!

I setup appointments over the weekend to get it brought back to a stock level so we could smog it and sell it. That meant I had to leave my Subie at the dealership and take the Trans-AM home for the weekend.

That Friday when I got off work, I had plans to go downtown and celebrate a birthday with some friends. Since my car was parked on the other end of the city, the only car I had access to was the Trans-AM. So I drove it up 4 or 5 blocks to pick up my friends.

On the way back, we are making a left hand turn onto my street from a red light. I gave it just a tiny bit too much on the gas pedal and the rear end locks and make a little tire squeak (no traction control btw.) It wasn't intentional.

Next thing I know, Highway Patrol is pulling me over in my apartment complex...

I understood the reason for the stop... no plates, car was registered to someone who lived on the other side of the country, no paperwork, loud as hell, full of mid-20s friends, ect ect. It probably looked like the car was stolen.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes the officer comes back and hands me a ticket for misdemeanor "Exhibition of Speed (Peeling Out)"... that's exactly how it was written on the ticket.

On my first court date I was told to come back in a month so the DA could have time to strike up a plea bargain. Well, that plea bargain is due this Thursday. My question to you good folks is this... should I plea no contest and just take it up the butt? Or should I plea not guilty and take it to trial?

Any input from anyone who has dealt with this would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I work for a car dealership and my job is to get cars ready to sell. Super kick ass job btw.

A couple months ago, we got a car in from Florida. Pontiac Trans-AM WS-6.

The car was heavily moddified, and the problem was that there was no way it was going to pass California smog like that. That's where I come in!

I setup appointments over the weekend to get it brought back to a stock level so we could smog it and sell it. That meant I had to leave my Subie at the dealership and take the Trans-AM home for the weekend.

That Friday when I got off work, I had plans to go downtown and celebrate a birthday with some friends. Since my car was parked on the other end of the city, the only car I had access to was the Trans-AM. So I drove it up 4 or 5 blocks to pick up my friends.

On the way back, we are making a left hand turn onto my street from a red light. I gave it just a tiny bit too much on the gas pedal and the rear end locks and make a little tire squeak (no traction control btw.) It wasn't intentional.

Next thing I know, Highway Patrol is pulling me over in my apartment complex...

I understood the reason for the stop... no plates, car was registered to someone who lived on the other side of the country, no paperwork, loud as hell, full of mid-20s friends, ect ect. It probably looked like the car was stolen.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes the officer comes back and hands me a ticket for misdemeanor "Exhibition of Speed (Peeling Out)"... that's exactly how it was written on the ticket.

On my first court date I was told to come back in a month so the DA could have time to strike up a plea bargain. Well, that plea bargain is due this Thursday. My question to you good folks is this... should I plea no contest and just take it up the butt? Or should I plea not guilty and take it to trial?

Any input from anyone who has dealt with this would be greatly appreciated.

No one can say what the outcome will be of any trial.
I can tell you that traffic court is actually REVENUE GENERATION COURT.
I'd listen to what the prosecutor has to say, and ask for a couple of weeks to mull the offer over.
Once you know what you're being offered, it might be in your best interest to take the deal.
The deal you want is one that causes the citation to be cleansed from your record.
I'd suggest getting a DEFERRED ADJUDICATION (probation like deal that if you have no tickets for 60-90 days) the citation gets dismissed, and they still get some money from you.
You don't want this kind of citation causing your insurance rates to increase, or your employer's, thereby putting your job at risk.
Another version of the deal gets the charge reduced to one whereby you can take TRAFFIC SCHOOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back