20+ year olf speeding ticket/warrant - settlement options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmroze

Hi "you all"...

I recently moved from FL to GA and my application for a GA license was denied due to a pending "unpaid" speeding ticket and associated warrant for my arrest in another state (NC). :eek: Over 20 years ago, I received a speeding ticket in NC and subsequently paid it. Since then I have registered cars, renewed my drivers license in other states and had background checks for employment; this issue never surfaced until last week. :mad:

Current status, I have asked the state to provide supporting documentation for this case and am wiating for their response. FYI I live in GA and have no intention of going to NC (especially not with a warrant for my name). So the court may not be an option for me.

Please share your experience in similar situation so I can have that debt and warrant removed from my file in NC (not going there in the near future &-))
1- How can I dispute this case? It seems to be a bookkeeping irregularity but cannot prove it since of course do not have receipt or proof of payment for a 20 year old ticket
2- What type of negotiation / settlement would suffice to make them go away? e.g. no interest/penalty and pay half of the original ticket,should I plead guilty or not guilty, etc
3- Can anything be done to avoid any impact to my driving record, insurance premium and credit record
5- Is there a statute of limitation that applies in NC in this case and would void the ticket/debt/warrant :D

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom :)confused: ),

Catherine
The Southenern Traveler

Sounds like double jeopardy to me. See, N.C. Gen. Stat. § 15-1, which carries a two-year statute of limitations to prosecute misdemeanors, thus causing your warrant to be invalid. I would make the Georgia Dept. of Public Safety well aware of this statute.

Thank you so much

Good morning,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and providing such pertinent information.

That is really good information and I will take it from there.

Regards,

Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back