Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication 2 misdemeanors- MIP And Poss of Controlled Subs- marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frustratedmom

My 20 yr old son got a ticket for 2 charges- MIP and Possession of Controlled Substance (a marijuana joint)- both misdemeanors. I am concerned about keeping it off his record. I also want to save money if possible. He will pay for it but he doesn't work full time and only makes minimum wage. I heard that usually first time offenders are offered a diversion program for a guilty plea. I am thinking that he should go to court and see if he is offered the diversion program before going in front of the judge. If not offered, I thought he should plead not guilty then retain a lawyer. My concerns are:
1. Two charges- is he still eligible?
2. He has used Holmes Act before about a year ago. (6 mos unsupervised probation for stealing a bike that he thought was his friend's- so called "joke" cost him $1000 with lawyer fees and fines)
I love him but he is Dumb kid! Advice please.

Last edited:
Junior is not a child anymore. Time for him to face the music and stand on his own two feet.

It might be best to get a lawyer's help before going to court. If a lawyer cannot be afforded, he should then ask the court if they will appoint a public defender. The lawyer or PD can go over his options with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back