Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication 2 daughters MIP in college in North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzilabrat

One of my daughters (age 19) attends UNC in Chapel Hill, NC. My other daughter (age 17) visited her one weekend last month with some friends. Apparently someone complained of loud music coming from my daughter's dorm room and UNC police show up. Both daughters blew .05 and cited for MIP.
Question is should I hire a lawyer and contest? I don't want their job prospects to be derailed by something like this in the future so the question is: should I hire a lawyer? They have to appear in court in two days. What do we need to do at the initial appearance? My gut tells me to advise my daughters to plead not guilty and hire an attorney. How much would that cost and is it worth it? Thanks, any and all advice appreciated.

Yes, you should hire a lawyer.

But according to your post, they are both guilty.

Thanks, and yes they are guilty and the task now is to lessen the damage. So, this is my plan:
1. Appear in court and talk to DA or ADA, before appearing before judge.
2. Ask that charges be dropped or lesser charge. (probably not but will ask anyway.
3. Request that record be expunged after completion of ALC classes or something similar.
4. If DA/ADA refuses, will tell daughters to plead Not Guilty.
5. Will then ask judge for continuance so we can hire lawyer.

If you want, I can post after appearance and tell what occurred.

Thanks for advice.

You forgot #6:

Drag both those brats home and make them start supporting themselves 100%. If they want to go to college, then they can pay for it themselves.

Seniorjudge,

You didn't make a mistake growing up?

Stick to providing LEGAL advice. Oh, we didn't need to hire a lawyer. Fortunately the legal PROFESSIONALS in the DA's office were very kind and also realize that young people do make mistakes. They were helpful and provided a way for my two CHILDREN to pay their debt as well as providing direction on ways to make amends and not have to continue to pay for youthful indescretions for the rest of their lives. They also did not resort to calling names as you do so freely which I consider to be very unprofessional. By the way, the rest of your post regarding parenting issues and college tuition is really none of your business. I will never post here again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back