Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 2 Civil demands for one day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollatjagirl

So, I stole from a store. Security guard searches through ALL of my belongings gets the stolen goods. Keeps saying he's missing a hundred dollar dress and something else because he found empty boxes in the dressing room..though I let him search to prove that was all the stuff I had. Well, they are pressing charges, I've paid the lawyer and all. My court date is8/25 and since Ive done my community service, they are waiving my appearance and the charges will be gone from my record. Well, this store sent me a civil demand for the items they got back from me in July. I paid it ASAP..(Ive never stolen, I was stupid and paid dearly). Well, today I get another demand for the same day, different case number and the dollar total of merchandise taken was different in this one. I DONT GET IT!! Can they do this?!?

Since you have a lawyer, I would give him another call and ask him, just because he's a lawyer and I'm not. :)
But from my personal experience (and what my lawyer told me) you should never pay for a civil demand if you definitely didn't take those items. He even suggested if you DID take those items, don't pay cause they rarely pursue a civil case to get the money. Also, the day you were caught, I'm sure LP made you sign a paper agreeing that you stole X-amount of merchandise with a total dollar amount. Were these other items in the total amount that you stole? If they were and you signed the paper, that's the only thing the store will have against you. They can pull up their file and show you signed this statement saying you stole whatever, so that is proof. It might not be camera proof, but it's written proof if you agreed to it.
You should still call you lawyer and ask.

When I was in your situation my lawyer told me not to give them any money, and they never bothered me with charges after the first letter of request. They didn't have proof either because I didn't sign anything.

You need to contact the Law Firm that sent you letter and tell them there must be a mistake as you already paid this. Do not ignore letter!

But there are 2 different case numbers and dollar amounts stolen. They found a price tag in the dressing room I was in and they tried pinning it on me. In the police report it said 85 dollars was stolen. EVEN IF I did steal the dress and the caught it later (I didnt and they wont), they couldnt mail 2 civils...just one right?

I will contact my firm Monday...no matter what. EVEN IF I did steal the dress and the caught it later (I didnt and they wont), they couldnt mail 2 civils...just one right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back