Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 1ST OFFENSE petty larceny (VA) HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

REPENTINGMOM

Hi all... I'm 23, married, and have a 2 year old son. Also am working part time for the local Commissioner of the Revenue (I don't handle money). Last week, I went to Walmart on my lunch break to save money and bought something to make for lunch. To make a long story short, I bought my pizza and ended up slipping 2 pregnancy tests and a hair dye kit into my purse and walked out. Valued at $39. I am so embarrassed and completely stupid for even thinking about doing that. Had the money to pay for them, but I was being irresponsible and careless about my actions. Also explained to the officers that I have been taking medication to treat depression, anxiety, and bipolar but have not taken it regularly so that it would last longer. They gave me a number for medication financial help and have been getting help On top of stealing, I lied a couple times to try to get out of it. I just wanted to disappear. AND I had driven to Walmart on a suspended license from a traffic ticket that hadn't been paid. The only thing they charged me with was shoplifting but I had to find a ride back to work and haven't slept well since.

I know what I did was very wrong and I have already taken an 8 hour theft class to learn from my mistakes and how to keep it from happening again. With my court date coming up, I'm scared to death. I can't stand the thought of going to jail even for a couple days and leaving my son... probably send me out the door of my job too. I have very much learned my lesson on how serious this is and am taking steps to prevent it.

Any advice is appreciated! I will be asking for a defense lawyer to represent me when I get to court, but I want to be prepared and try to get some sleep! What could possibly happen to me???

So scared and have let everybody down. I want to prove that I'm better than that. :(

VA has some of the toughest laws on shoplifting in states. They might even have mandatory jail sentences. That I cannot say for certain. Normanjr will know this. When you meet with you rPublic defender be sure to ask if Diversion is available in your case this is best possible result. Now since court dates etc are public its possible your work could find out. Whatever happens in court might still cost you your job. Do not make excuses or try to justify your actions to court or work and hope for the best. Taking the theft class may help a great deal. Any paperwork that says you completed this course can help you with both court and work

Thank you for your response. I know that my disorder is not an excuse and will not use it as one... I take full responsibilty for my actions and hope I can have a second chance.

What should I plead at my arraignment?

Also I hope I can get an answer to this??

My ticket says "Shoplifting" but online for my case it says "Conceal/alter price merch 1st"

Whats the difference?

That would be determined by state penal code. They are likely samething. If you want a Public defender or want to hire your own Lawyer then plead not guilty or enter no plea then ask for either Public defender or time to hire your own Lawyer

One more thing... how does a jail sentence work if the worse case happens? Am I arrested and taken on the spot or have an arrainged date to show up for my time?

If its only a couple days you might arrange weekends. I cannot speak for any Judge but giving you time to get your affairs in order is reasonable request

Hey there. I'm from VA as well.

First things first, take a deep breath.

A few months ago I was in a similar situation. I paid for a few items, tried to walk out with more. Needless to say, I got caught. My charge was similar to yours as well, except it was Conceal/alter price merch <200, I'm not certain what the deference between the 2 is, maybe the $ amount?

Before my court date I completed a counseling program from N.A.S.P. I HIGHLY recommend it by the way, and I also volunteered at a local food bank. When my court date came, my lawyer was able to make a plea bargain with the commonwealth attorney. Even tho the judge did not look at what I had been doing since the crime was committed, I was able to get off with no jail time (at the time, the only other thing on my record was a couple of speeding tickets...that I had paid off). The N.A.S.P. stuff and volunteering actually helped me get my job last week (and i start this monday).

I can't say what your job will do but this is not the end of everything. You have taken a HUGE step by completing the theft class. That's a great thing that you did it on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back