Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 1st Offense in CA/Class C/Do we need an attorney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssvander

My friend and I, (19 and 18 respectively) were caught shoplifting in a CA chain store. We're deeply depressed by the whole situation and obviously will not be attempting this ever again. This is our first offense and we're guilty. We were taken in by the police and Loss Prevention while we were exiting. After being cooperative and honest, we received a Citation with a court date set in two months. On the Citation it says we were charged with "Retail Theft," Class C, and written as a misdemeanor.

Is it for certain a misdemeanor? How does this affect my career prospects? Is there any way to cover it up or wipe it off a background check? Will this affect volunteer work?

I've been reading about shoplifting charges regarding that particular store, and people suggest hiring an Attorney or requesting a Public Defender. We do not have the funds to hire an Attorney. Is getting an attorney or Public Defender necessary? If yes, where do we get into contact with a Public Defender?

Also, I have read about Diversion Programs and pleading Nolo Contendere/No Contest as opposed to Guilty. What is the difference between pleading No Contest and pleading Guilty? Which should we plead if we know we are guilty? Is there any way we could get into a Diversion Program?

Neither of us hold a job, live with parents, and currently attend college. My friend attends a Cal State whereas I attend a California Community College; I do not know about my friend's grades, but last semester I held a 3.5 GPA. I also volunteer at an animal shelter and an after school program. Should we use these facts in Court? Will these facts have any affect on our sentence?

I apologize for the many questions; I wasn't expecting myself to commit a crime and am not well-versed in criminal law as a result.

I forgot to include: What kind of probation is available? And is there any probation method that helps us cover up the misdemeanor on our records?

Yes you need an Attorney. Ony an Attorney will know the ins and outs of the court. He/she will know the Judge and how he/she rules most fo the time. He/she will know what (if any) diversion programs are available to you. So yes you need an Attorney. Start calling them Monday. Most offer free consultations get as many as you can. Arm yourself with knowledge. If you cannot afford one then ask for Public Defender on your court date or call court to see if you can meet Public defender before court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back