19 years old truancy

G

Green lantern

Jurisdiction
Florida
I'm 19 and I'm only a junior in school and I'm considering dropping out and if I were to stop going to school completely could they charge me still? I'm 19 and I don't live with my parents. How do I even go about dropping out?

I'm 19 and I'm only a junior in school and I'm considering dropping out and if I were to stop going to school completely could they charge me still? I'm 19 and I don't live with my parents. How do I even go about dropping out?

You're an adult.
You can simply disenroll yourself from school.
I suggest if you do disenroll yourself, you get your GED.
Ask your school counselor, or inquire at your local Community College.
A Community College will tutor you to make sure you pass the GED exams.
At your age, a GED is your best and most productive option.
Check your local school board site to determine how, or ask a school counselor.

Pursuant to Section 1003.21 F.S any student who attains the age of 18 years during the school year is not subject to compulsory school attendance beyond the date upon which he or she attains that age.

Pursuant to Section 1003.21 F.S., all children who are either six years of age or who will be six years old by February 1, or who are older than six years of age but who have not attained the age of 18 years, must attend school regularly during the entire school term. A student between 16 and 18 years of age is not subject to compulsory attendance if the student completes a formal Declaration of Intent to Terminate School Enrollment with the district school board. The declaration must acknowledge that terminating school enrollment is likely to reduce the student's earning potential and that the disenrollment will be reported to the Department of Safety and Motor Vehicles. The declaration of intent to terminate school enrollment must be signed by the student and the student's parent or legal guardian. The school must notify the parent or legal guardian of receipt of the student's declaration of intent to terminate school enrollment. A student who attains the age of 18 years during the school year is not subject to compulsory school attendance beyond the date upon which he or she attains that age.

A. Pursuant to F.S. 1003.21, a child who attains the age of 16 years during the school year is not subject to compulsory school attendance beyond the date upon which he or she attains that age if the child files a formal declaration of intent to terminate school enrollment with the district school board.
1. The declaration must acknowledge that terminating school enrollment is likely to reduce the student's earning potential and must be signed by the child and the child's parent or legal guardian.

Hillsborough County Public Schools - Policy Details

GED INFO:

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are you still a junior at age 19?

My wife taught in a high school for many years.
She's currently a high school principal.
In Texas, a student can attend public school to acquire a diploma until his or her 21st birthday.

Lately she reports seeing an influx of "older" looking students from Central America and Mexico. I've seen a couple, and to me they appear to be 30-35 years of age. Of course, no one really knows, because they aren't required to prove their identity.

Thank you a lot Army! I was already planning on getting my GED, I've been studying for 3 months already.. Tomorrow I'm withdrawing with the information you gave me. And I'm 19 in my junior year because I failed twice.. Everyone makes mistake and I made mine very early on.
Again thank you sir. Have a great night.

Thank you a lot Army! I was already planning on getting my GED, I've been studying for 3 months already.. Tomorrow I'm withdrawing with the information you gave me. And I'm 19 in my junior year because I failed twice.. Everyone makes mistake and I made mine very early on.
Again thank you sir. Have a great night.

You're welcome, mate.
High school isn't for everyone.
Get that GED, and find something that you can do with your life.
A GED is accepted in lieu of a high school diploma for most things these days.
Some students just can't make it in a high school setting, so just do your best in a setting that suits you.

Start with the school's secretary, counselor or vice-principal.

I'm sorry I wrote so early but do you know who I talk to to get withdrawn?

Yes, as katdini advised, start with a counselor, assistant principal, or registrar.

Be prepared, my friend, for a pitch to keep you from dropping out.
Your response would be, "I have to work, but I'm going to get my GED. I know completing HS is important, but because of my errors in judgment that'll take me two more years. I understand I made mistakes, and don't want to make more. So, I can withdraw, get my GED, get a job, and improve my life."

Dirty little secret, mate, you're an ATM to them at this point.
The state pays schools money for each warm body that attends school daily.
Forget that, just be calm, mannerly, but stick to your guns.
You're an adult, no longer a child.
Just keep making good, solid decisions and soon all those mistakes you made will be nothing because you're making better choices.
Good luck.
Let us know how things went, please.
I love to hear happy endings.

Yeah they made a pitch alright, I stuck to my guns but the registrator wasn't even there she'll be there on Monday hopefully but I'll be ready. I've been ready for months now. Idk why I waited so long.

Yeah they made a pitch alright, I stuck to my guns but the registrator wasn't even there she'll be there on Monday hopefully but I'll be ready. I've been ready for months now. Idk why I waited so long.

You're good, just wait it out.
Monday will be here before you know.
In the meantime, get that GED cooking.
Keep me posted.
I still want that happy ending. LOL

Well I'm going to be taking the reading and history section on June 7th and math and science on June 9th. Once i drop out on Monday in going to purchase the test and schedule it the same day. I'm ready and thank you all for the information and support.

Well I'm going to be taking the reading and history section on June 7th and math and science on June 9th. Once i drop out on Monday in going to purchase the test and schedule it the same day. I'm ready and thank you all for the information and support.

Super, and I wish you success.
In about two months you're going to be so happy, you won't even care that you could have done this two years ago.

Now you'll really start winning. LOL

Lol... They wouldn't let me withdraw myself without my dad. They said the rules are different from all county's and that rule doesn't apply to Miami dade county... Just a large waste of time...

Lol... They wouldn't let me withdraw myself without my dad. They said the rules are different from all county's and that rule doesn't apply to Miami dade county... Just a large waste of time...

Someone lied to you.
If you're 18 years old, you're an adult.
State law in FL covers everyone, even Miami-Dade. LOL
Watch your wallet, liars are thieves, too LMFAO
You don't need a law to to assist you with dropping out of school.
Your father or mother isn't required for you to disenroll.
However, you can argue with the devil, ignore the devil, or get your mother r father to do it for you.
I suggest you enroll in a GED program.
You can ask the GED how you go about dropping out in Miami-Dade County.
As I said earlier, when you drop out the school loses money.
They see you, and others like you as a money tree.
Keep us posted, and don't let the weasels beat you down.

The school does not lose money because a kid drops out at 19. Not getting that diploma is a HUGE mistake, but if you think that with just a 10th grade education at the age of 19, you know better and are just going to waste everyone's time staying in school, sure, drop out. Nor having an actual diploma can be a barrier down the road. What employer wants an employee who couldn't hack high school and took the easy way out? If you must drop out, you should at least get yourself into a trade school or community college. You will need it. Not only will you need those skills, you will need to show you can follow through.

Back