Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 18 year old, caught shoplifting $15 worth, summoned to court

Status
Not open for further replies.

tori97

Today, I was caught shoplifting only fifteen dollars worth of makeup in a big chain store in Virginia. I'm eighteen and I've never had any arrests or convictions before, not even a speeding ticket. I was taken to security where the security officer asked me a lot of questions and he went through my purse. I was really upset by this incident so whenever I asked any questions, the answers went right over my head.

What I know is that I have two court dates: one preliminary (I think that's what it's called) and then the actual court appearance. I'm also banned from all of these stores. Also, the security officer told me that "this will screw up my life" and that I will "probably go to jail for months". He also told me to write what happened "in my own words" on this sheet of paper and to sign it.

Another thing: I go to a college that is four hours away from my town, but I have made arrangements to get to court without my parents finding out.

Maybe a lot of that was unnecessary, but I'm really scared. So I have some questions:

1. Was the security officer exaggerating about jail?
2. I didn't write much on the paper, but it felt like a confession. Was it an admission of guilt?
3. Are there any ways to get this momentary lapse in judgement off of my record (preferably without my parents finding out)?
4. I don't think I can hire an attorney because I can't afford one on my own, so would a public defender do me any good?
5. I also wouldn't be able to meet with this public defender before the court date due to me going to school four hours away and not having a car or any way to get back, so would phone calls do?
6. I really have no idea what I'm doing, I seriously regret what I did, even if it was only fifteen dollars worth of merchandise, so basically I'm just wondering WHAT DO I DO in general?

Re: 18 year old, caught shoplifting $15 worth, summoned to c

1. Was the security officer exaggerating about jail?
No theft is a misdemeanor which could get you as much as a year in jail. Its very unlikely though. However VA is very tough on shoplifters so the possibility of a few days in jail is there. You need to consult an Attorney to discuss your defense plans
2. I didn't write much on the paper, but it felt like a confession. Was it an admission of guilt?
Yes
3. Are there any ways to get this momentary lapse in judgement off of my record (preferably without my parents finding out)?
Yes but you need to talk to an Attorney to see if there is a ACD or Diversion program in your county
4. I don't think I can hire an attorney because I can't afford one on my own, so would a public defender do me any good?
Yes but you should first consult several private Attorneys. Many offer free consultations get as many as you can. The Public defender will not spend much time on your case an dmay not even discuss your options until court date.
5. I also wouldn't be able to meet with this public defender before the court date due to me going to school four hours away and not having a car or any way to get back, so would phone calls do?
Good luck with that. Public Defenders have huge case loads and as already mentioned dont spend a lot of time on cases and often do not even speak to clients until court date. This is why its important to know your options and have a plan before meeting PD
6. I really have no idea what I'm doing, I seriously regret what I did, even if it was only fifteen dollars worth of merchandise, so basically I'm just wondering WHAT DO I DO in general?
I believe I answered all that with previouys answers. If i were to add anything it would be to suggest youy enroll and complete an Anti Shoplifting course before court.

I figure I should just keep updating, maybe for other people that are in the same situation. I spoke with a lawyer today on the phone and have figured out a way to pay for said lawyer. I will be meeting with him in a few days, which will be before my first court date. He said he usually charges $750 for criminal cases, but has lowered that rate to $500 seeing as I'm a college student with very few ways to pay for this on my own. He also gave me a rundown of what could happen: a fine, probation, jail is a big possibility, but it would be 4 days misdemeanor time which means 2 days in jail. I also asked about diversion and he said that they don't do that for adults where we are in Virginia. He also mentioned that this will go on my record, but that he will try to reduce the conviction as to make it seem less serious for when I try to get a job later on.

I guess now I just have to wait to meet with him to go over all of the details. I will keep posting to help anyone else out, I suppose. This is really scary and I wouldn't want anyone else to feel as helpless in this situation.

what part of virginia? PM me the name of the store and I can help you.

Also, I've looked at the "General District Court Case Information System" and my case has not been listed. It has been three days since the incident and I have a summons, but no court case information? I'm not going to assume that they've just forgotten (although, good lord, wouldn't that be incredible), but how long does it usually take for my case info to be put into the system?

That depends on too many factors to guess. With Holidays upon us it might take longer

Alright, so I just checked the online court information system and my information is finally on there. However, some people have "petty larceny" for their charges (which I thought was my charge) but mine says "CONCEAL/PRICE ALTER MERCH 1ST". What's the difference? Because I've been searching and I can't find the difference. Is this charge lesser in any way??

You need to ask your Lawyer but if I had to guess (its only a guess) I would say its a lesser charge

Okay, thank you. Will do. Also, do you know if lawyers are open to continued pay? Because at the moment, I can only pay a small fraction of what he's asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back