Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 17 in michigan first offense shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdl12791014

I was caught shoplifting at WalMart. This was the first time I have ever done anything illegal. And I cooperated very well. I was with my step brother, sister, and my sisters boyfriend. They are all under seventeen and I was the only one that was seventeen. We were caught walking out with stuff in our bags and pockets. The person who caught us told me that I am going to be charged with everything since I am the adult and that even though I didnt steal the things my sister, sisters boyfriend, and brother did, I am still responsible for it because I am an adult. Is this true? We had to go into the office and empty our bags and pockets. They said they had seen us shoplifting before. Altogether, we maybe stole three hundred dollars. I learned my lesson just by sitting in jail for half an hour. I just had some questions. Will I have to serve any more jail time?
How can I get a good lawyer or attorney? Can you give me some suggestions?
My mom won't talk to me or even look at me. What do I do?
And I have heard of programs that can help me. Are there any in Huron County of Michigan? And will it help me out at all?

Will I have to serve any more jail time?
It depends on charge and your record but yes its possible. Without looking up your states laws I can say that a theft of that value with any proof or admission of prior thefts could be a felony
How can I get a good lawyer or attorney? Can you give me some suggestions?
Yes open up the yellow pages and start calling Lawyers. Many offer free consultations I suggest you get as many as you can. Get as much info as you can so you can make wise decisions. ask about options like diversion if available
My mom won't talk to me or even look at me. What do I do?
We really do not deal with relationship issues here. Howe3ver our sister site http://www.alltopicsforums.com/ has a section for relationship issues you can ask there on how to mend your relationship with your Mom
And I have heard of programs that can help me. Are there any in Huron County of Michigan? And will it help me out at all?
There is a program offered by NASP. You can find their program on their website.

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I'm sure your mom is mad now and hopefully this will pass soon.

It is probably best to have a lawyer represent you since there are issues - such as being charged for taking things you did not. A prosecutor can certainly try but that doesn't mean that you will be responsible or their attempt will be successful. But a lawyer can also effectively plea bargain for you and perhaps help you get a more beneficial sentence and program as you mentioned. We have a service to help you find an experienced criminal defense lawyer. They have the ability to speak on your behalf without anything said being attributable to you and being charged. They can also more effectively argue that you cannot be charged with a shoplifting charge that covers the other minors. While a public defender can also argue on you behalf effectively, in general I'm more inclined to hire an attorney since, by the numbers, I have seen them achieve a better outcome. Most important is to keep a good frame of mind and positive outlook. It seems you appreciate the consequences. Good luck.

I have stolen from there a couple of times but I just got caught this time. The cop told me that they raised it to $1000 of stolen items is a felony. But we didnt take that much. They said something about $500. Is that my charge I wonder? And I have a clean record. This is my first offense on anything. Im from Michigan. Will my clean record help me stay out of jail?

Also my sisters boyfriend has been caught vandalizing. He wanted me to ask you some questions too. They said he got a misdemeanor. Is it likely he will go to juvie?

Also I tried to register for that course online but it says it needs my court number or something like that. Where can I get that?

tdl12791014 said:
Also my sisters boyfriend has been caught vandalizing. He wanted me to ask you some questions too. They said he got a misdemeanor. Is it likely he will go to juvie?

We deal with retail theft issues here vandalizing does not fall into that area.

tdl12791014 said:
Also I tried to register for that course online but it says it needs my court number or something like that. Where can I get that?

Othere have had that issue as well. However I am told there is a way to do so without it. If you still cannot then PM me and I will give you contact info (email) to their Director

shrinkmaster said:
tdl12791014 said:

Othere have had that issue as well. However I am told there is a way to do so without it. If you still cannot then PM me and I will give you contact info (email) to their Director

How do I PM you?

shrinkmaster said:
tdl12791014 said:
He was caught vandalizing and it was put on his permanant record I think, but then he got caught shoplifting. Will he go to juvie?

Jail is an option but I feel unlikely. However much also depends on the circumstances of this current theft and if he is still on probation for earlier offense. He should consult a Lawyer as well and it would not hurt if he also took NASP course.

OKay. I will let him know. But I have more questions. My mom said we shouldnt call an attorney because we will get one when we go to court. Should I still get an attorney anyways? And when should I start calling them? My court date is in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back