15 Yr Old Traffic Ticket / State Tax Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly0123

I got a letter in the mail stating that Wagoner County had requested a tax intercept of $94 ($74 - ticket and $20 in tax intercept notice fees) from my state return for a ticket from 2/1991. I could sign the form they sent and the money would be taken out or I could request a hearing (the request for a hearing must be received within 60 days).

Because some (possibly all) banks aren't required to keep documents for 15 years and generally the recommended time to keep personal documents is 7 years I don't have any cancelled checks from 15 years ago.

If I didn't pay wouldn't my license have been suspended and a warrant issued? I've gotten a few speeding tickets in the last 15 years (one from the state highway patrol) and there has never been any mention of a warrant. I'm not sure if this is checked for every time though and I don't think that any other tickets were in Wagoner County.

I've also gotten my license renewed a couple of times in the last 15 years and there hasn't been any mention of my license suspended. I guess if it was only suspended for a year I might not have known about it...

My questions are:
If I didn't pay wouldn't my license have been suspended and a warrant issued?
Could all of this have happened without my knowledge?
Do I have any recourse considering it's rare to keep documents for 15 years?
How long are court records kept and how long is ticket information kept?
Can I go to the state and request all of this information?

I know it's a small amount but it's very possible that the error is on their side. It's also scary to think that they can send letters out for tickets that are this old and probably get money from people because they can't prove that they've paid the fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back