11-yr old DWS ticket in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregongrl

Hi,
My husband got a notice last week to appear in court for "all cases". It listed no detail as to what the appearance was for except for a note that "operators license will be revoked" and a warrant issued if he does not attend.

He called the issuing courthouse today to get more detail, it is in regard to a driving while suspended violation from 1995, he may or may not have appeared in court but a fine resulted in any case. He found out further that the outstanding fine is over $500.
Well, in August 2002 we sought to get his license back and the DMV directed us to contact the affected counties for any outstanding tickets, so that we may pay them and get a letter back from the courthouses to take to DMV, which we did in good faith - and this county courthouse was included. The DMV then cleared the affected tickets that were in their record and that were shown as paid, and reissued his license by September 2002. He has not incurred any traffic violations since. So I am shocked by this 11-year old "unpaid" ticket somehow turning up in the court, and not in DMV records.

He told the courthouse this today and the clerk responded that the DMV must have deleted this ticket in "error" because their records do not show that it was paid - if that is correct, that means they missed it when we contacted them in 2002 to get the information on anything outstanding. I am not entirely sure I still have the receipts or other records since we paid everything almost 4 years ago - but even if I do, I'm not sure how to reconcile it against this order to appear for "all cases".

Should we hire an attorney to try to dismiss this in court? His date to appear is next Wednesday 3/29 which leaves little time to find an attorney in Benton co which is 60 miles from where we live now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back