1099 to business and contractor?

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Assuming $600+

If I hire a business - one with a retail location - to come to my house and do some work, do I 1099 them?

What about a private contractor, who, in theory has a business, but no retail location?

Are you a business or an individual? You do not have to file 1099s if the money paid is not part of your trade or business.

There are multiple criteria as to whether you are paying a person (requiring a 1099) or a business. Having a "retail location" isn't necessarily one of them. What is the nature of this other entity's business?

I am an individual.

You do not have to file 1099s if the money paid is not part of your trade or business.

Is that true? If I hire a contractor to remodel my bathroom, I dont have send them a 1099?

The IRS website has lots of information about 1099s:

That seems to answer my above Q as "yes":

For each person to whom you have paid at least $600 for the following during the year
  • Services performed by someone who is not your employee

I am an individual.

Is that true? If I hire a contractor to remodel my bathroom, I dont have send them a 1099?

That seems to answer my above Q as "yes":

For each person to whom you have paid at least $600 for the following during the year
  • Services performed by someone who is not your employee
Your quoted text is from Am I Required to File a Form 1099 or Other Information Return? | Internal Revenue Service

You seem to have missed the opening sentence in the opening paragraph on that page:

"If you made a payment during the calendar year as a small business or self-employed (individual), you are most likely required to file an information return to the IRS."
(emphasis added)

You are not a small business, nor are you self-employed (insofar as the bathroom remodel is concerned). If you were a self-employed house-flipper who hired someone to remodel the bathroom, then yes, you'd have to provide the 1099, but if you're just a person who is remodeling the bathroom in your house, then no, you don't have to provide a 1099.

I am an individual.

Yes, that's true, and it's been true for decades. The basic rule for 1099 reporting for work done by independent contractors (as well as for a number of other payments made by businesses) is Internal Revenue Code (IRC) section 6041(a), which states:

All persons engaged in a trade or business and making payment in the course of such trade or business to another person, of rent, salaries, wages, premiums, annuities, compensations, remunerations, emoluments, or other fixed or determinable gains, profits, and income (other than payments to which section 6042(a)(1), 6044(a)(1), 6047(e), 6049(a), or 6050N(a) applies, and other than payments with respect to which a statement is required under the authority of section 6042(a)(2), 6044(a)(2), or 6045), of $600 or more in any taxable year, or, in the case of such payments made by the United States, the officers or employees of the United States having information as to such payments and required to make returns in regard thereto by the regulations hereinafter provided for, shall render a true and accurate return to the Secretary, under such regulations and in such form and manner and to such extent as may be prescribed by the Secretary, setting forth the amount of such gains, profits, and income, and the name and address of the recipient of such payment.

26 U.S.C.A. § 6041(a)(bolding added). Note the part I put in bold — the payments need to be made by a person engaged in a trade or business and making the payment as part of that trade or business. In general consumer payments to independent contractors for things like home repair, etc. do not have to be reported to the IRS unless you are seeking a deduction/credit for those payments (e.g. child and dependent care expenses, etc). And those are generally reported as part of your income tax return rather than on a Form 1099.

Back