Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 10 year old bogus Grand Theft Charge - Have Proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubleintampa

I need a little advice. I lived in Brandon, FL (suburb of Tampa) for a couple of years in the mid nineties. I was a partner in a small retail computer shop that went under. My partner wasn't the most honest guy around, and wound up in some tax trouble. I assisted the Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement by providing financial information from another company he owned and had stored on an office computer that I owned. So to "get even" with me, he convinced a former roommate to file a police report stating that I took a bunch of his stereo equipment when I moved out. I still have the original receipts for all of the equipment including serial numbers with my name and "paid in full" printed on them.

Apparently, the Hillsborough County sheriff sent a letter (or something) to my last known address (which wasn't a good address) saying I had to appear to talk about the stereo equipment. Because I never received whatever it was they sent and didn't go in, they issued a warrant for felony grand theft and dealing stolen property with a bond of $25,000 since I no longer live in the state and am considered a "flight risk". I think failure to appear is also a charge. This all happened in November of 1997 - almost 10 years ago.

I no longer live in Florida, and haven't since 12/97. I have no criminal record at all. I've held the same job for 6 years, and haven't been unemployed since I got out of the military in 1992. This should be as simple as getting the prosecutor to listen to the story and look at the proof. I just can't see someone pushing this to trial because there's really no way they can win.

I spoke to an attorney in Tampa and was told it would cost about $5000.00 to take care of this. The biggest problem I have with paying to take care of it is that I did nothing wrong. I've tried to talk to the sheriffs dept., but they won't discuss it with me.

Here are my questions:

Is there any way I can get this taken care of without hiring an attorney?

Is $5000.00 a reasonable fee to handle something like this?

Will this ever just "go away" so to speak?

I live far enough away that they won't extradite, but the one time I was stopped for speeding in the last 10 years it took a couple of hours to straighten out. It also almost prevented me from a job offer, but they understood the situation and I got the job anyway. But it was very embarrassing to have to explain something like that to a potential employer, or anyone else for that matter.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I am not a lawyer but my advice is.

Is there any way I can get this taken care of without hiring an attorney?
Defend your self, most lawyers don't tell you that most of the time you can defend your self and not have a problem. It isn't a big case really, as long as you can prove you owned the stuff and that you didn't live at that address anymore you should do fine. If you have to fly back to take care of the situation and counter sue for the cost of a plane ticket and hotel room.

Is $5000.00 a reasonable fee to handle something like this?
I have no idea

Will this ever just "go away" so to speak?
I wouldn't think so, there is a statue of limitations (period as to how long someone has before filing) but you said they filed it already so I'm sure it is on your name already. If you go and straighten it out it SHOULD be cleared from your record.

I'm not really sure who it is, or how to get in touch with them. I did fax the receipts for the equipment to the detective, but she said that wasn't enough because one of the items on the receipt didn't have a serial number listed, and to "stop wasting her time". She wasn't too interested in discussing anything, and told me that the prosecutor couldn't talke to me directly and i would have to hire an attorney. That was 9 years ago, so maybe things have changed?

If it has gone to warrant, it is almost certainly out of the immediate control of the investigator or the DA. You will likely have to clear the warrant and arrange a court date. If you hire an attorney they might be able to arrange a surrender and quick release with a new court date.

I'd spend the money on the attorney ... felony arrest warrants can come back to bite you when you least expect them to.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back