Change of orders

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My son and his girlfriend gained custody of my Grand kids custody was given to both now separated the girlfriend has custody of them the children are being abused and I have tried to make a report with nothing moving forward the ex girlfriend now has sole custody of my Grand kids how do I help them get removed from her home

Can custody orders be changed without the permission of the other party
How do you know they are being abused?
My 11 yr old tried suicide a yr ago when she went back to the home the girlfriend beat her her sister 17 yrs got away and has spoken with me if this beating and beatings of her siblings my son also had kids before the separation they live with him have also come out and told us of the abuse

Can custody orders be changed without the other party knowledge

You can continue to report the alleged abuse, but custody changes not related to county/state intervention will depend on your son.

In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything is possible.

That said, obviously, once a court has issued an order, the only way to change the order is for the court to issue a new order (or some sort of errata notice if the change is simply the correction of a typo), in which case, the court will give notice to all parties.

In any future posts, please use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation. Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

My son and his girlfriend gained custody of my Grand kids

Your grandchildren...meaning...their own children? Or are these grandchildren of yours the children of some other child of yours? If the latter, how is it that your son and his GF acquired custody of these kids?

the children are being abused

Have you called the police and child protective services to report the alleged abuse?

how do I help them get removed from her home

First of all, why isn't your son seeking custody? Is there a subsequent custody order that gave her sole custody? If he wants to change the custody situation, then he needs to take appropriate action in the family court. Second, if you haven't already done so, you need to report the alleged abuse to the police and child protective services.

Can custody orders be changed without the permission of the other party

Maybe.

It is unclear, based on the title of this thread, whether your son is the legal father. What do you mean by "non-biological partner"?

If your son is not the legal father, then custody is irrelevant as far as he is concerned.

If a judge deems that a change of custody orders is in the best interest of the child, then custody orders certainly be changed without "permission". When mediation fails and a judge becomes involved, there's going to be a result that at least one party could not agree with.

Can custody orders be changed without the other party knowledge
Only in terms of an emergency hearing - but that will be followed in short order by a hearing where the other party can/will be heard.

Absent an emergency filing? The other party (*) must be served according to state law.
(*)If the petitioner is a third party (like... a grandparent... ), BOTH parents will need to be served.

Be aware that the court may not be comfortable placing the children with nonparents out of state.

Back