You'll Never Believe this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donb51

Quick facts:

1. My wife and I agree to let our Son, his wife, and two kids move into our basement because they were far in debt and could no longer afford the rent.

2. We gave them a 6-12 month free ride so they could get their feet on the ground.

3. The Son ends up moving out of the house, getting his own apartment, buying a new car, and going to night classes after only 6 months! This was done over our vociferous objections.

4. Now it is going on two years, with daughter-in-law and two little kids in our basement, with no relief in sight. Daughter in law is now trapped in basement.

5. We have "disinherited" the Son until he fulfills his obligation of moving out as originally promised, but he is in no hurry.

I am thinking about bringing legal action to begin having him pay "rent" to me equal to what he is paying for his party pad, plus back rent from the 12th month they were here.

Do I have a case? Any help is appreciated.

Unless there was a formal agreement to have him pay rent starting a certain day, I don't know if you have much of a case.

You need to start talking to the mom and find out how she is going to support the kids and she needs to look into getting a job ASAP. If you are comfortable with charging her rent, let her know that they have been there totally rent free for far too long and something needs to be worked out andhave her sign a lease .

She also might look into filing for divorce, and asking for child support.

I'm no attorney

I'm a retired Caseworker.

I concur with Duranie.

Family Counseling might help here, too.

If there was any type abuse before he left, your d-i-l could contact the local Domestic Abuse Shelter about housing, etc.

Are these little children your grandchildren? If so, your decision may hinge on whether you want to keep in contact with them or whether you're willing to risk losing contact.

Hard decisions all the way around. Duranie was right on target.

I'm no attorney, not do I play one on television.:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back