Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant you be the judge!! legal or illagal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pluna

asked many people about this' many different replys

was pulled over for speeding. the officer ran my license. i had a suspended one. he arrested me didn't search me and place me in the back of the patrol car. he got a clip board, i thought he was going to get my tag or insurence info, but he began to search my car. he found nothing on the first attempt. came back to call for a tow truck. i asked him "i thought you had to asked permission to search my car" he said that he was taking inventory of it. he search the trunk and the car again. on the third time he found a corner baggie of cocain resedue. is inventory the same as searching it??? please help

Actually the courts call this an "inventory search". The Supreme Court held that a police officer can search a car without consent or warrant when the car has been towed or is about to be towed and it is standard police practice to inventory its contents.

Nyclex.......... perfect answer.
An officer is not required to ask whether an arrestee desires to have someone come and get the suspect's vehicle, nor is an officer required to accede to an arrestee's request to do so. once a lawful arrest is made, the officer becomes responsible for timely safeguarding of the vehicle (impounding). The vehicle is then subject to being searched incident to arrest. Johnson VS Georgia, A04A1381

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back