X Roommate Kept My Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMinOKC

I moved in with a friend at the end of September 07. I paid him $250 (half of his rent) in October and another $250 in November. Nov. 29-30 he asked me to leave and I removed myself and most of my belongings by Dec. 4th. He told me I could leave whatever I couldn't fit into my car or my storage unit at his house until I could remove it. Over the next several months we talked here and there until the end of May when I told him I wanted to come pick up my things. He stopped taking my calls. Over the last several months I have left him several voicemails and text messages requesting my property. I ran into him at a cafe and he wouldn't talk to me and actually left me standing in the prarking lot crying. No one we know can tell me why he is keeping my things.

I need to know what to do next. I have a list of all the things I left. I have a friend that was over there and knows what property I left. Do I need a lawyer? And if so what type of lawyer?

Unless these items exceed the monetary limits of your state's Small Claims Court (do a "google" search under "monetary limitations for small claims" to find what your state allows) these issues are typically addressed in this court. One does not need an attorney for Small Claims.

Make sure you have documentation on what you left behind and an accurate estimate of their worth (some people determine the cost of replacements for these items then deduct amounts based on the age and wear of your particular belongings).

If your former friend argues that you must now pay "storage costs" remind the court that as a month to month tenant, you should have received at least a 30 day notice to vacate the unit. You received only a 1 to 2 day notice. If you had been given adequate notice to vacate, you would have had time to remove all of your property.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back