x is moving out of state & wants to keep joint custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

concrnd

my x and I have joint custody of our 11 year old son. He has decided to move to another state (because of medical care for his 6 month old) to North Carolina and thinks that we should keep joint custody of our son. I will have my son during the school year and my x will get him every other weekend and is requesting 60% of the summer and holidays. I do not think that this is in our son's best interest considering he is very involved in sports and is moving to middle school in the fall which is also going to be difficult for him.
My x and I have talked over a lot of the issues and have come up with a schedule that may work out for this next school year, but he doesn't want to have to pay a lawyer to present the change in custody to the court. He thinks that we should type up the changes, sign them, and get them notorized. I don't believe this is the right thing to do, and I don't want to run into any problems down the road. Will notorizing a change in the custody arrangement be legal or should I push to have it presented before a judge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back