Wrongly accused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musician

I am being accused of taking my mothers personal property (pictures, legal documents etc.) which I did not. She has contacted me and said she will take legal action to get her property back which I do not have or ever had. What should I expect from her lawyer and how should I respond ?

You don't have to respond.
More often than NOT, saying ANYTHING about ANYTHING won't be believed, and is often used against you later.
Don't answer any unofficial mailings, and only respond if you're served a subpoena to appear in a court of law.
Unless that occurs, say nothing.

Last edited:
Would it be advised to say nothing if I am served a subpoena to appear in court ? Would I have to go to court to state I do not have any of her belongings. She is convinced that I am in possession of her belongings and I expect her to do what ever it takes to get the items that she thinks I have.

If you receive a subpoena, then you need to read it & comply with the terms. Do not ignore it. You might want to contact a lawyer of your own.

Would it be advised to say nothing if I am served a subpoena to appear in court ? Would I have to go to court to state I do not have any of her belongings. She is convinced that I am in possession of her belongings and I expect her to do what ever it takes to get the items that she thinks I have.

If you are served a subpoena, appear in court and deny any and all knowledge of the whereabouts of her property.

If that's the truth.

If you are criminally charged.

If she brings a writ of replevin (sometimes called "claim & delivery, is a civil judicial action to force someone to return property belonging to another), and you have no knowledge of the matter, you appear in civil court (when compelled to do so by the court) and deny any all knowledge regarding the alleged missing property.

Whatever you do, don't lie.

Testifying in court is easy if you're innocent and tell the truth.

You are doing what many people do, changing your question.

I advise everyone not to respond a letter from a lawyer.

A lawyer has no power to compel your appearance.

However, a lawyer or citizen acting pro se, can request the court to summons you to appear.

A judge has the power to compel your appearance.

If you're accused of criminal wrongdoing, never admit anything to the police or offer an explanation.

You'll never stop any criminal proceeding against you by blabbing.

You simply and politely decline to speak about anything without a lawyer present.

Don't worry, no lawyer will advise you to discuss anything with the police, other than provide your name, address, and date of birth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back