Wrongfully terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmsmith04

Terminated due to cashing a check from the relocation company made out to me. Shortly after check was cashed, employer informed me that the money should be reimbursed to the them. Immediately wrote a check to the employer. Three days later was terminated. Do I have any legal recourse?

You got to give a little more details here.

I'm going to give you a definition of wrongful termination. If, after reading it, you still believe you were wrongfully terminated, you'll need to post back with considerably more detail than you have initially provided.

A wrongful termination does not mean one that is unfair, unjust, or unexpected. It does not mean one that is based on incorrect or inaccurate information (i.e. - the company thought I did x but they're wrong -I didn't). In the large majority of cases, it does not even mean one that violates company policy.

In order to qualify as a wrongful termination, it has to be ILLEGAL for the company to fire you for the reason that they did.

There are two types of wrongful terminations - violations of Title VII (and related laws) and violations of public policy. Title VII violations means that you were terminated BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40. Depending on what state you live in this can also include such things as sexual orientation, marital status, military status, etc., but that is state specific - the first list I gave you includes all the reason protected at the Federal level.

Public policy violations vary a bit more by state, but essentially means you were terminated because you utilized or applied for a rignt or benefit that is protected by law. This can include, but is not limited to, filing a workers comp claim, taking FMLA leave, reporting illegal or unsafe activity to the appropriate outside regulartory agency or OSHA, attending a union organization meeting, and so on.

Please note that I am not trying to tell you that you were not wrongfully terminated - you haven't given me anywhere near enough information to judge. I am simply giving you a definition, since the majority of people do not really understand what a wrongful termination is. You may have been - you may not have been; we simply can't tell. If, after reading this definition, you still think you were wrongfully terminated, please post back what happened and which kind of wrongful term you think you have, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back