wrongfully sent to collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

indebtpa

As of Nov,1,2007 my wife has been sent to collections because of a Dentists
bill.
My wife did have work done, the dentist does not accept insurance, but they told my wife they would see what a predetermination from my ins. company
would offer, and they would work with us.
We never recieved any statement from the dentists office showing what was done versus what they got a predetermination for.
The gal in the office does not send out statements or bills.
We never signed a repayment agreement. The gal in the office assumed $500 a month was acceptable by both parties. I was giving $100 or $200 when I could monthly. I missed Dec 2006 and got a call at work Jan 18,2007. After a very heated argument from both sides, and explaining there was a problem with some of the work done, I was told my wife was no longer welcome at the dentist.I showed up with a check for $100 and it was refused.(I still have the check).
Does the dentist have the right to refuse a payment, sit quietly for 10 months then send us to collections??
It is a very informal office, with her desk right there in the waiting room for any and all other patients to her her calling me at work repeatidly.
After the heated argument she hung up on me and i called back to talk to the dentist directly, a different girl answered, all I could hear in the background was the gal ranting and raving and I did hear my last name mentioned publicly in the office.
Do i have any recourse for HIPPA violation, and violating the fair credit reporting act, as she repeatidly called me and my wife after being asked not to?

Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Q: Does the dentist have the right to refuse a payment, sit quietly for 10 months then send us to collections?

A: Yes.

You should have continued sending the checks, return receipt, even if they were returned. Once you stopped doing anything you defaulted. Have you tried contacting the dentist himself through return receipt mail to document your attempts? Have you contacted your insurance company to see if they made any payments whatsoever? Also, contact the licensing board for this dentist and file a complaint about the services and the way the practice is managed. As far as HIPPA you would have to prove other patients in the office heard the call. As far as Fair Credit Reporting Act , I believe they are allowed to call to update you on your account only but not harrassment. File a report with that agency if you feel they violated your rights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back