Wrongful Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chefguy

Dear Lawyers,

I have been working at a restaurant for the past 4 years. Times have been good, times have been tough (as in any job). I went into work this monday, November 9th, 2009. I was pulled in to the office, only to hear my boss tell me that "It is time that we part ways."

Now in some circumstances I can understand how this may not be misunderstood. However, I have a good track record with the company. I have ZERO write ups, and no documentation of unprofessionalism, being late or noneffective and for other reasons. Sometimes problems may occur in the restaurant business, however the rare times that they have occurred, they also have been resolved and the source of the problem has been fixed.

While talking with my boss after the "shocking" news of being let go, I asked why. He responded with "If you really want to know." and I said, "I believe I have every right to know." Shortly after he looked at his computer, stared down at his desk in silence searching for an answer. He told me that "there hasnt been one single instance that caused this." I then told him how I believe I was a good employee and how I believe that I have done my job to the requirements and beyond. He then AGREED with me. That I was a loyal employee and that I have done my job the way it was expected. That is when I started asking the question, "then why am i getting fired?". He again had no response. And told him that I do my job just as good if not better than anyone else, which he ALSO agreed with. And finally I left after at least 30 minutes of trying to get an answer when i realized that there was no apparent reason for my termination.

Do I have a case with the Better Business Bureau, to collect severance pay? or any sort of compensation at all? I feel that I have been wrongfully terminated, and searching for answers and options. Please help!

Thank you for your time!

Nothing you have posted suggests that you were wrongfully terminated. Nothing you do is going to force the employer to provide severence or any other form of compensation beyond your final pay.

Wronful termination is a termination that violates law, cba or, employment ocntract. Whcih do you feel your firig falls into? I see none of the above sorry

This may have been unfair but it is not a wrongful termination as defined by law. Google employment at will.

The Better Business Bureau does not handle employment complaints. They are a consumer agency. However, since this termination was not wrongful (illegal) I can't think of any agency that would get involved.

You did not post your state, but there is no state where an employer is required to give you a reason why you were let go AT THE TIME OF TERMINATION. There are, however, a few states where, UPON THE WRITTEN REQUEST OF THE EMPLOYEE, the employer is required to provide certain information, including the reason for termination. If you will provide your state, I can tell you if your state is one of the few.

There are only 3 states where severance is ever required by law, and in none of those states would severance be required in this situation.

I'm not saying you didn't get a raw deal, but there does not appear to be any kind of legal action you can take beyond filing for unemployment benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back