wrongful termination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ling17

Hello

I was working in this company (SMC and EMC)for 9 years and people know me as one of the smart employee that they can seek for help and advice when they need help. I'm a manager reporting to the same boss for 8 years. He is now the president of the company name (Joe Wu). He started to harassed me and make a pass on me very often and obvious in the last 2 years and be a real jerk whenever possible (hostile, violent, screaming, yelling, verbal abusive). He's constantly wanted to go to lunch or have a coffee talk with me and sometime dinner. I said NO nicely to him everytime because I feel uncomfortable being that closed to him and asked him to stop whatever feeling he has for me. He didn't give up and always trying to have alone time with me in the office.

However I've confronted him to stop harassing me and just try to be professional at work. Somehow he didn't like my reaction and got so mad and asked me to quit my job if I don't listen to him. He also threatens me to make my life miserable if I think I'm better than him. I left his office buzzing and crying because I was so upset and didn't know what to do. I was going to talk to HR, but our HR is powerless when it comes to this guy issues. He has too many issues that everyone in the company have to accepted because he has too much power even the CEO so afraid to make things right for other employees. After that confrontation, he started to take away my projects and assigned to someone else. He also let other employees know that they're not allowed to talk to me and all requests that used to come to me have been reassigned to someone else. Slowly I got nothing left to do and everyone scare to talk to me because of his order. I was scare of his action and feel so low that he can treated me this way. I know he would fire me one day in the way where the law can't do anything about it or protect me and he will always walk around proudly as the president of the company. He always thinks the law can't touch him eventhough he treated his people like an animal (you'll get nice treat from him like free laptop or free days off if you listen and follow his order). You'll get fire from his company in one way or another if you stand up for yourself and want to do the right things.

Well he laid me off last week and everyone was shocking. He always said to other people that I'm the most valuable employee in the company and one of the smart employees he has ever worked with, but yet I still got terminated.

Is there any lawsuit I can file against him or this company? Can this consider to be a wrongful termination or retaliation since he took always my works?

Please advice

Best Regards

Patti May

PS: he used to seriously and joking that he would leave his wife and kids to be with me when he can. He is one sick man.

Nothing that you have posted suggests a wrongful termination (which does not mean what most people think it means) or provides you with any legal recourse. For there to be a wrongful termination claim, there must be a specific law which expressly prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did.

Every state except Montana (and even Montana in some circumstances) is an employment at will state. That means you can quit at any time and for any reason and you can be fired at any time and for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

If it were illegal to be a jerk, we'd need a lot more jails.

Nothing that you have posted suggests a wrongful termination (which does not mean what most people think it means) or provides you with any legal recourse. For there to be a wrongful termination claim, there must be a specific law which expressly prohibits the employer from firing you for the reason they did.

Every state except Montana (and even Montana in some circumstances) is an employment at will state. That means you can quit at any time and for any reason and you can be fired at any time and for any reason not specifically prohibited by law.

If it were illegal to be a jerk, we'd need a lot more jails.

PM:
How about when he started to take all my works away and asked other employees not to communicate with me after I asked to be more professional at work? Can that considered a retaliation?

Please advise,
PM

That is not ILLEGAL retaliation, which is another of those words that means something different in employment law than most people think.

Wait; just reread part of your post. It is illegal for him to retaliate against you for refusing to go out with him. It is not illegal for him to retaliate against you for complaining to HR about issues not related to that.

I don't see wrongful termination or retaliation. Based on your note I don't even see sexual harassment or even harassment. Did he ever make an sexual advance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back