wrongful termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftims

Two days ago i informed my employer, in Arizona, that i could no longer help them out installing doors because i had picked up another part time job. I was hired to measure, just measue, for the installation of doors. because of a lack of personal i offered to help out for a little bit as a helper for another installer. I started out making 20% per job but without notice i was reduced to 15% for the same work. Because of the reduction in percentage of pay in order to make up the difference i had to obtain a part time job. With the part time job I informed them that i would just need to do the job i was hired to do which is measuring only. When the owner was informed of this he said it was unacceptable and he fired me and told me i should just work full time at my other job. My question is was this wrongful because i will not perform extra work not hired for as well as was the reduction in pay for the same job also wrongful.
Thank you for your time
Frank Tims

No, this is not even remotely close to a wrongful termination. You can legally be required to perform any duties the employer wants you do, as long as they are not illegal or unsafe by OSHA standards, and you can legally be fired for refusing.

It is not illegal to reduce wages. Depending on what state you are in, you might or might not have to be notified of the reduction in advance of any hours worked at the lower rate, but barring a bona fide, enforceable contract or CBA that guarantees a higher rate, under the law you are only entitled to the higher of state or Federal minimum wage, if different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back