Wrongful Red Light Ticket by Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetside61

Ok, here is the scoop. There are three lanes leading up to the intersection that I was about to enter. The two left lanes are turn lanes and the right lane is a straight lane. There are two lights at the intersection, one of them directs the two left turn lanes and the other directs the straight lane. There was currently a red arrow for the two left turn lanes and a green light for the straight lane. The middle lane is the lane that I am in while approaching the intersection. As I was approaching the intersection I wanted to go straight and realized that I was in a turn lane so I proceeded to change lanes from the center turn lane to the right straight lane, over a broken white line. As I enter the intersection the right front tire of my truck is in the right straight lane and the rest of my truck is in the center turn lane. I proceed through the intersection and end up in the straight lane going through the green light. The cameras flashed and I received a ticket in the mail citing the violation of Vehicle Code CVC 21453 (c) which states "A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown. "

I did not complete the movement of the red arrow signal, as I entered the intersection I completed the movement of the green light indicating that it was safe to proceed straight through the intersection. This was my intention from the beginning.

My question is: How do I fight this ticket to win? I did not run the red light. Thank you in advance for all your help.

You're in the clear. Take a diagram / pictures to the judge and explain it. Look up the relevant codes. Do a google search for more advice. I am assuming california law.

I do not believe you are in the clear. I do not know California law, but in Texas it is illegal to change lanes in an intersection. I'd bet California law is at least as stringent.

In your post, you state that "As I enter the intersection the right front tire of my truck is in the right straight lane and the rest of my truck is in the center turn lane." Also, red light cameras are normally triggered by pressure plates in the pavement. The pressure plate requires at least two or three hundred pounds to activate it. Obviously, enough of your vehicle was still in the center turn lane to trigger the pressure plate.

No Texas judge worth his (or her) salt would dismiss running the red light unless the fine for changing lanes in an intersection was higher. Then he/she might let you slide on the red light and hammer you for illegally changing lanes. In some small towns where traffic fines are a major source of local government revenue, you might get hammered for both offenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back