Wrongful eviction Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmx_

;) The good news is my landlord has decided to let us stay because I stood my ground and informed him repeatedly of my legal rights, :( the bad news is due to his lieing and our lack of trust towards him know we don't want to stay. We just found a house to rent in the area and were planning to give deposit and sign lease on friday. Now due to the change in the situation we are not sure what we should do. My landlord has given me 2 eviction notices one was a 30 day and the other given to me on monday was a five day stating I owed back rent. I called his bluff on this by telling him that I have all reciepts of rent payments and no money is owed to him. My question is, Even though he had no legal right to try to evict us , by giving me a 30 day eviction notice, does that written notice void our lease agreement? and can I get out of it with my deposit returned and no legal retaliation from him?

kmx said:
;) The good news is my landlord has decided to let us stay because I stood my ground and informed him repeatedly of my legal rights, :( the bad news is due to his lieing and our lack of trust towards him know we don't want to stay. We just found a house to rent in the area and were planning to give deposit and sign lease on friday. Now due to the change in the situation we are not sure what we should do. My landlord has given me 2 eviction notices one was a 30 day and the other given to me on monday was a five day stating I owed back rent. I called his bluff on this by telling him that I have all reciepts of rent payments and no money is owed to him. My question is, Even though he had no legal right to try to evict us , by giving me a 30 day eviction notice, does that written notice void our lease agreement? and can I get out of it with my deposit returned and no legal retaliation from him?
On the surface it would appear that you probably can leave because of your landlord's wrongful evictions. I wouldn't expect to get your deposit returned and you'd best be served by not paying the last month's rent. Leaving immediately and suing in small claims is another option. If you've got those notices, his sham evictions should not protect him in court.

I hope it worked out for you in the new house. I'd like to hear about it if you would be so kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back