Wrongful Cancellation Fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanimechick

I recently bought my first car and signed up for insurance through the dealership. It was with progressive and was my first time ever having/being on car insurance. I asked the agent if I could cancel at any time and he told me I could. I knew of another insurance which would give me a cheaper rate so I signed up with progressive and called to cancel 3 days later. When I called in I was told that I would have to pay a cancellation fee. This wasn't told to me y the agent and wasn't in any of the papers I signed! I paid $267 and I was told I'd get 190 back. So I'd be paying about $77 for 3 days of coverage! It wasn't in my contract but when I called and spoke to a manager, she kept telling me that it was in the handbook that I should be receiving in the mail! I don't know about anyone else, but I for sure can't read handbooks before I get them! This doesn't seem legal to me... Am I out of luck or should I fight this?

Have you gone online to see if Progressive has their policies available to their customers? I find the cancellation fee a bit steep. You should see in your state what the lemon laws are for purchases such as car insurance.

Well what the reps at Progressive are trying to tell me is that since it's in the handbook, I'm obligated. It wasn't in the contract I signed though and I obviously didn't have the handbook before I signed! And I don't think the Lemon Law would apply in this case. It just seems wrong that there's this substantial fee that they conveniently left out of the contract but instead included the late fee and insufficient fund fee. Seems like a fee that big should be in there...

It looks like this is another case of not reading the fine print before you signed the contract purchasing the car and car insurance. Try to negotiate the fee with the insurance company and if no results, then you will have to just accept your loss. Good luck!

I DID read the contract. It wasn't in there which I believe I already stated. They said that this fee was in the handbook that I would be receiving in the mail AFTER signing the contract. Is there anyone who KNOWS whether or not this is something I can fight?

What you don't seem to understand is that you are bound by a contract and consequently, independently of having the handbook on your possession or not, you have to pay any amounts owed. Again, this is a case of a homework not done when in the process of purchasing car insurance. The answer is - you can try to fight it, but since you entered into a contract willfully, you ARE responsible for the charges due to the insurance company.

Last edited:
Presutin, your input was useless here and if you have nothing constructive to add, mind your own business. No one needs you going around adding your snippy little comments. People come here to get advice and help; if you are just here to try and make people feel stupid you should honestly find something better to do with your time.

For anyone else who may learn from this post, I got a call from Progressive today and they contacted the agent and found out that that part of the application outlining this cancellation fee was never sent over. So they were at fault and you, presutin, are useless in your input here. It wasn't in the contract and I will not be charged the cancellation fee. And AGAIN, this is NOT a case of homework not being done. This is a case of the agent leaving out select portions of the contract. I'm not stupid; I read EVERYTHING I sign and am legally bound to.

Good luck to you on your future ventures. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am of mine. I am not to blame for your bad decisions....

Last edited:
Bad decisions? You should grow up and stop trying to put people down who are asking for help. And when your opinion involves trying to make someone look stupid when asking for help, then you are being childish.

Some people are just unappreciative of the volunteers of this forum when it comes to taking their time to answer questions that help others in need of guidance. It is a shame to see that members don't abide by the forum rules and still find words that try to minimize the efforts of those who generously do what they do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back