Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongful accusation of shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccox1231

Hello, I am asking this on behalf of my mother who recently had an ordeal at a local department store.

She had been shopping at a local JCPenny where she picked up a pair of earrings and a few other items and proceeded to the checkout. She decided she needed a few more things, so she left the line to browse around the store for a little while longer. However, she had been carrying the earrings in her hand with her keys and accidentally put them in her pocket. A store employee asked her to accompany her to a back room where she met with two managers. The managers called the police who arrested her on the spot, handcuffed her, and took her through the store to an awaiting police car. My father immediately got her out of jail and contacted the county prosecutor who had the case dismissed.

I believe that the managers handled this very inappropriately. She is a fifty year old school teacher who has never even received a parking ticket. To make matters worse, she was mentioned in the local news paper's arrest report, and she is worried that this will adversely affect her career. She is also just very distressed over the entire situation.

My question is what should be done from here? I think a written apology from the store would make her feel much better, but I have no clue if thats something companies do. Any suggestions?

Need more information please! Did she exit the store? How much where the items? when was she stopped? Did she pay for the other items?

She didn't exit the store. The item was about ten dollars. She was stopped last Thursday around 2pm. She didn't check out so she had not had the chance to pay for the other items.

The simple act of concealment in some state is a crime and even if in your state it is not, JCP could show intent. It is very strange the county prosecutor dismissed the case that quickly and based on a phone call. Is there something I am missing. Its sounds like the only thing the store did wrong is not waiting till your mother passed all points of sale. But based on the state you live in and the store set up it may have been fine.(IF MOM WALKED BY THE REGISTER IT COULD BE CONSIDERED SHOPLIFTING.) I would need to know the grounds for dismissal to give you any other advice.

If Mom walked pass the register they have every right to stop her.

What state do you live in ?

Based on the limited information it sounds like the store is in the OK. From a legal standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back