Wrong Way down oneway street lack of signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubo79

This happened in Atlantic County, NJ. I was driving through town in the pooring rain and made a left down what is apparently a one way street going the other way. I realized this immediatly, made the first turn I could and was then pulled over for the infraction. After I got my ticket I asked the officer where the sign was because I sat at the stop sign for a few seconds looking for a sign (this is habit because there are a lot of one way streets in the area) and I did not see anything.

This morning I went back to the scene, and noticed that while stopped at the stop sign the one way sign is 100% blocked by a telephone pole. You cannot even see the sign in the daylight and it would be even harder to see this sign at night in the pooring rain. I took video of the area, but the forum won't let me post the url.

Is this a valid defense?

Last edited:
The cop claims you disobeyed a stop sign.
You say you couldn't see the stop sign.
Even if you say you saw the stop sign, stopped for five minutes, it's your word against the cop's word.
Who do YOU think the judge will believe?
If you were the judge, would you believe your cop buddy, Offer DEWIN RITE, or Joe DEWIN Wrong?

I'm not sure if it matters, but it was a one way sign, not a stop sign. I have a video of where I stopped showing the sign is clearly not visible, when I say not visible I mean 100% blocked and there is no way anyone can see it if stopped at the sign. I tried to post it, but it was deleted by a moderator.

I'm not sure if it matters, but it was a one way sign, not a stop sign. I have a video of where I stopped showing the sign is clearly not visible, when I say not visible I mean 100% blocked and there is no way anyone can see it if stopped at the sign. I tried to post it, but it was deleted by a moderator.

No, it doesn't matter.
Its Officer Friendly's word versus yours.
Good luck with that.

Agree, you can certainly contest the ticket in court - take your video to court with you. You could always (if you desire) talk to a traffic law attorney (get the help of a traffic law attorney). Good luck.

Crap happens. You did not provide a maps location for us to look at so all anyone can say is take it too court. It happens. I once crossed the desert into El Paso, then made a left at a poorly posted intersection, then realized partway through the turn I was going the wrong way. I had to swing a quick U-turn with a set of doubles as morning rush hour traffic was coming down the road toward me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back