Wrong negative item in credit report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globust

I recently learned about an unpaid past due debt ($ 120.00) through my credit report, after the issuing bank of a current credit card just comunicated me that they are not renovating it.
The debt is a Verizon long distance bill from July 2003, on a phone at my previous address in Pennsylvania (I moved to Florida that same month). Now the debt is at a collecting company. I have contacted both companies and I received the bill from Verizon a few days ago, I will pay now that I know about it,
The problem is that I have never received the invoice, and I have never been contacted by Verizon or Anderson Fin. Network, the collecting company. I received an invoice from Verizon at my Florida address in August 2003, stating that I owe nothing, and that I would receive a $ 41.00 refund check from Verizon, for overpayments I had made. I won't dispute the debt, as I believe it is legitimate, I didn't pay because I just was not aware of it, and I understand this has been a mistake by Verizon, first by missinforming me and then by not getting back to me with the new invoice.
The problem is that the debt has been reported to the credit bureaus, and of course, it is afecting my credit.
What can I do to get this item deleted from my credit records, as this is the only negative item in my report, and it is not my fault that I did not pay before that small bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back