Wrong City in ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whooopasss

Got a ticket for going 85 on a 65 at night while trying to merge right to allow a car behind me to pass. Since I cant just merge right (there is a car on my right) and I cant slow down (car behind me) I sped up and passed the car on my right and merged right, them bam CHP was behind me and gave me a ticket for speeding and a verbal warning for lane change. I was running 65MPH for a good 20 minutes before this. I know I am right and I am going to fight the ticket, but I there is another thing on my ticket that I found out. The exit where I got pulled over is right, but the city is totally wrong. It says Belmont Ca. I was pulled over in Redwood City Ca which is about a city away from Belmont. (belmont>San Carlos>redwood City wich is about 8 miles apart) Should I add this error as a ground for dismissal?

Last edited:
Fighting a 20 over the limit probably will not get you anywhere.

A better strategy is to cool off and try to plea it down. Search some the posts here for tips.

An error on the ticket will not be any help either.

California Speeding Ticket

I know I am right and I am going to fight the ticket

Right about what? You have admitted that you were speeding.

The city will not make any difference unless you go all the way to court for trial. Then it will probably only come into play if the court does not have jurisdiction over Redwood City. You could make a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction once the officer testifies and the state rests.

However the officer can always issue you a corrected ticket and start the process all over again.

Next time try turning on your signal and slowing down to merge right or at least not exceeding the limit by more than 10mph. Most officers will give you that much. Evidently there was more to the situation since the officer also warned you about the lane change.

You will receive your courtesy notice in two to three weeks. If you don't receive it be sure to show up on your court date. You are probably eligible for traffic school and most jurisdictions in CA now accept online schools. You can check for your court at
ONLINE TRAFFIC SCHOOL

I did use my turn signal and I informed the trooper that I did, and he said "but the car behind you stepped on his brakes" How on earth can that happen when I sped up and merged right. His logic was not right, and I insisted that I made the proper warnings before I merged right.

Also

CVC 21753 "Yielding for Passing" requires that "the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal or the momentary flash of headlights by the overtaking vehicle...."

Since I can't merge Right (there is a car on my right side) and the other driver was tailgating me, I can slow down so I had to speed up and used my turn signal (right) and merged right to let him pass.

I have written my defense already and will update the board what comes out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back