Written up

Candisc320

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
I was at lunch with my coworkers and we were laughing. Manager opens the door and tells us we have patients here you guys are being too loud. We all go back to looking at phones /finishing up our lunch. We split the crew to take lunches. So knowing that thier are less of my coworkers , I think ... is thier a ton of people checking in or what? I had about 5 minutes left so I called the front desk from the lunch room table to ask how many peope we had checked in ... she said 2. I was oh ok, well then they are good, I'll take my last 5 minutes. Well the manager was standing behind the front desk person and overheard her answers and came to the conclusion that I was calling because I was implying he was lieing about patients being there at all. This was Friday, nothing was mentioned to me about it besides a few coworkers stating that the manager made a comment and was obviously mad.
Now Monday morning rolls around and I am pulled into the office by my office manager and told I was "caught" that the other manager heard me calling questioning if patients were here. I calmly and confidently stated that was not the case and told the above events. I was also told that the manager wanted to talk to me but was currently still too mad. I again stated that I had nothing to hide. That the person misunderstood what happened. Never the less, the next day the manager says you just let me know when you want to talk to him. I asked what would I have to say ??? I was written up for something I didn't do and now I have to strike up a conversation?? My question is, how can I be written up without my side of the story even being heard? And how is calling the front desk while off the clock regardless of why... does that punishment fit the crime?? And should i go talk to him ...am I trying to get the write up revoked, by pleading my case to a person that went out of thier way to get me in trouble?
At this point I am so frustrated and feel like my character has been slandered I don't know what to even say.

There is no law that you have to be able to give your side of the story before you can be written up. It may or may not have been unfair, but nothing illegal happened here.

I agree with cbg and txls. Also, I don't think there is anything to gain from avoiding speaking to the manager, even though you will be reiterating what you already told your office manager. At least then the manager will hear it directly from you. It may not change the fact of the write-up, but if it were me, I'd rather he heard it from me first-hand.

Whether you feel it was fair or not, you might simply offer a sincere apology with your explanation. AN apology can go a long way toward correcting the problem.

This is not a legal issue. It is one of policy that will have to be resolved within the company.

sound like you misinterpreted his reason for his statement and he misinterpreted why you checked up on what he stated..... to me, it does sound like you didn't believe what he said and were checking up on it (you asked how many rather than do you need help?). Regardless of the # of patients, he still felt it was too loud.

But in the end all you can tell him is your intentions and hopefully he will understand, just as you will understand his viewpoint.

Back